cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gunnison Colorado to Durango Colorado

Straycat2161
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for an alternate route other than 550 (million dollar highway) to get from Gunnison to Durango. Appreciate any suggestions.
7 REPLIES 7

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Let me share one other good possibility which is the one I usually take: Go east from Gunnison on US 50 about 8 miles to pick up CO 114 (turn right to the south) nice drive over the pass to Saguache where you join US 285 S. Watch for CO 112 near Center (only a crossroads). Take it west to join US 160. This will take you over Wolf Creek Pass which I have never considered to be a problem--a major pass, but getting to be a better road all the time.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken 149 south through Lake City to South Fork then west to Durango.

Not bad at all.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, speaking of "tractor trailers", some of the curves between Silverton & Ouray are tight. Some long 18 wheelers drag their trailer across the yellow line cutting off the other lane. Be ready to stop for them coming the other way.:E
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the Million Dollar Highway scares some people, but for others it's a great experience. That highway is driven daily by various tractor trailer operators including UPS.

I can think of several roads that are much worse. Just take your time and enjoy the "Million Dollar" views.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Montrose south on 550 is, by far the shortest route. There are only 2 places on it, between Ouray & Silver city that are a bit scary because u'r on the outside lane with no guard rail for about a mile. The rest is really beautiful drive. 149 up to Lake city is a VERY steep, hard climb. U'd want to unhook the TOAD & drive it separately. The easiest is, as stated, Ridgeway 62/145 to Delores. If u go this way there a kinda simple pass to go over, Lizard Head. There is a beautiful Nat'l Forest CG called Cayton. Some sites have ELECTRIC!:)
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I gave my answer on the other forum you posted. ๐Ÿ™‚

Basically, as above, 550 to 145 to Cortez then east on 160 to Durango

If you take 149 south to Pagosa Springs you'll have two big passes - Slumguillion and Wolf Creek.

145 is a lot easier.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Straycat2161 wrote:
Looking for an alternate route other than 550 (million dollar highway) to get from Gunnison to Durango. Appreciate any suggestions.

US 50 west to Montrose, then US 550 south to Ridgway. CO 62 west over the Dallas Divide (~9000 feet) to the junction with CO 145 at Placerville. CO 145 south over Lizard Head Pass (~10200) and on down to Cortez, where you can pick up US 160 east to Durango. Not a bad drive, you don't have any major challenges as far as passes.

If you're comfortable with mountain driving, you could take US 50 east to Poncha Springs (outside Salida) and then go south on US 285 over Poncha Pass (~9000 feet) into the San Luis Valley and stay on US 285 to Monte Vista, where you can pick up US 160 to Durango via Wolf Creek Pass (~10900 feet) and Pagosa Springs. With improvements that have been made to Wolf Creek over the years, it's not nearly as bad as it's been in the past and as folk lore would have it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.