cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hancock, MD to Winchester, VA

Lou___Lime
Explorer
Explorer
Undecided between US 522 or I-70 and I-81. What type of road is 522? Steep? Winding? Would appreciate your input.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
5 REPLIES 5

Hawk7
Explorer
Explorer
Take it from a local... avoid I 81 at all costs. There are way too many accidents on 81. Just last week there was a 44 car/truck pile up due to a sudden snow squall. People drive way to fast and never slow down for the road conditions. Now that there are three lanes from Maryland until Martinsburg, there are wrecks daily. Take the scenic route and enjoy your drive.
2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
522 is a good road, scenic, no big hills or major curves, as KD4UPL said it changes from a good 2 lane to a very good 4 lane, Berkley Springs will be the only bottle neck, we use 522 all the time when going to Ohio or western Pa.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
We always take 522. It's shorter and a nicer drive. No steep hills or sudden curves. Either route is good though.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
522 is 2 lane in WV and 4 lane in VA. It's a good road. Not an interstate but it's regularly used by lots of trucks. At least it was back when I was trucking. I took 522 to Hancock all the time; it's much shorter than interstate. I think Berkley Springs may have banned trucks in town so that would have stopped the truck traffic.
That would be your one bottleneck; 522 goes right thru the middle of scenic Berkley Springs. It's a cool little town with some old historic buildings. I always enjoyed the route when I was driving 18 wheeler thru there.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't get any good responses you can goto GOOGLE MAPS and do the city view and just move down each of the routes at eye level and look for yourself for things that you are asking about.

We do this alot on some roads as well as appearance of camp grounds...

They have photographed almost everywhere you can go these days...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS