Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thru San Fran Hwy 101

RVLimey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Looking at taking hwy 101 down the coast from Washington and staying on 101 thru San Fran down to Paso Robles then 46 to 99. I want to try and stay off I-5 for most of the trip thru California. What is the best road to take either thru or around San Fran. 35ft MH towing Jeep. I have tried looking at Google earth and I want to stay away from stop and go lights for long stretches, also can I drive Hwy 1 to the south of SF?
Thanks for the advise.
8 REPLIES 8

Fuzzy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
We did a similar trip last May from Seattle area down through Oregon on Hwy 101 to Willits. We then took Hwy 20 to Ft Bragg and picked up Hwy 1. We're doing a similar trip next week but will stay on 101 as it was a long slow drive on Hwy 1 north of San Fransisco. We did cross the Golden Gate Bridge at rush hour on Monday evening. Not too bad, just followed the Garmin closely. There are no toll booths, you will get a bill in the mail later. We followed Hwy 1 through SF down to Santa Cruz. Staying on Hwy 101 this year we should get into SF around noon. Our goal that day is Mount Madonna Park near Watsonville. We may take Hwy 1 south from there, but am thinking we'll stay on Hwy 101. Our destination is Huntington Beach with a night stop in Ventura on the way. Enjoy the trip.

Doug
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 6spd auto.

2007 Lance 1191

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
RVLimey, I had the same feeling, even though people were saying that it's "doable" to drive through the city. I drove the way you are proposing, in reverse, a couple years ago, and it was fine.

Coming south, go past Santa Rosa to Novato and get on Hwy 37. Or you can get off at Petaluma on Lakeville Hwy and take it around to Hwy 37 (which is what I did). Hwy 37 to I-80 south to 780 to 680 south, cross the bridge and you're home free. Yes you can then take 680 to 580 over to I-5 or 99. What I did (in reverse) was take 680 all the way down to San Jose and get on 101 again.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Coming south on 101 over the GG bridge take "GG park Pacific Coast Highway" exit right away. Through the park and out the other side you are on HWY 1. A most pleasant drive from there on.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

RVLimey
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks for the replies. Gave me with willies just reading about the roads. Next question, if we come off 101 at Santa Rosa then work our way round the cities, thru Walnut Grove to Dublin then 580 to Tracy...is that a doable route, I can always come back to 101 at Santa Nella (I think)
Cheers

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Search the San Francisco topic as a while ago someone posted a route down 19th St. The turn off 101 was just after you crossed the GG bridge. That route did not involve Van Ness (101 through SF)and put you back on the 101 freeway in San Bruno just north of the airport. When I was stationed in Marin County I took that route to the airport fairly frequently but that was in the very early 70's.

We were in that area just a last weekend and Van Ness is not too bad depending on the time of day. Lots of traffic lights but not too bad. We went through there just after noon. Stay in the right lane and follow the signs to 101 South and Oakland. Stay right to go south on 101 or left to take the Bay Bridge to Oakland (not recommended).
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
Careful going thru those Bridge Toll Booths! When you get near Morgan Hill on 101, you'll find a CampingWorld in San Martin. Take the San Martin Exit, cross over the highway and make a left turn. A place to rest.
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

dalehelman
Explorer
Explorer
diazr2 wrote:
Once you go over the Golden Gate your toast. There is no route around the city. You go right straight through it. If you want to go around SF you need to get off around San Rafael or Novato. Still going to be very tight going through the Bay Area. Just go ahead and go for it going through the city. You will go very slow but you won't be the biggest thing on the road that for sure. They have all kinds of delivery trucks going through there. It will be white knuckle and tight but you will have quite an experience. Oh make sure you have enough fuel to get you through the city. Only thing worse than going through the city is trying to find a fuel station big enough to take the size of your rig. Now that would be exciting.

What he said. I spent several years driving a semi in the bay area. Its tight but do able.
Dale & Sandi
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 Little Guy T@B Sofitel
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Once you go over the Golden Gate your toast. There is no route around the city. You go right straight through it. If you want to go around SF you need to get off around San Rafael or Novato. Still going to be very tight going through the Bay Area. Just go ahead and go for it going through the city. You will go very slow but you won't be the biggest thing on the road that for sure. They have all kinds of delivery trucks going through there. It will be white knuckle and tight but you will have quite an experience. Oh make sure you have enough fuel to get you through the city. Only thing worse than going through the city is trying to find a fuel station big enough to take the size of your rig. Now that would be exciting.