cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Moon Bay Road

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
My destination is Half Moon Bay State Beach in the San Francisco Bay area. My routing will take me north on US 101 to I-280N. Is the best routing for a motor home with toad to exit 280 on hwy 92 and then follow that road to the coast? Is hwy 92 OK for RVing? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
exportman wrote:
samsontdog I am in site 26. I would include a shot from Google Earth but this website isn't so user friendly to uploading pics and links (at least as of a few years ago.) If you have Google Earth on yr computer check it out. Site 26 is in a row close to the Pacific

THANKS !!!
samsontdog:o:W

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog I am in site 26. I would include a shot from Google Earth but this website isn't so user friendly to uploading pics and links (at least as of a few years ago.) If you have Google Earth on yr computer check it out. Site 26 is in a row close to the Pacific

JT
Explorer
Explorer
"He is going to have to avoid the 85 due to the 4 ton weight restriction. 92 is the only viable alternative as the 17 is even worse."
---
AFAIK, the weight restriction on Hwy. 85 applies to *commercial vehicles only*; my class C rig weighs about 12000 pounds, and I see RVs, i.e., motorhomes, 5th wheels, trailers, much larger than mine on 85 very frequently.

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
We love the fog horn!!! Helps us sleep. 92 isn't a problem with our toad. Done it many times. By the way, they sites are at sea level, but you can't see the water from them. That's why we like Pillar Point.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
He is going to have to avoid the 85 due to the 4 ton weight restriction. 92 is the only viable alternative as the 17 is even worse.

brianpearce
Explorer
Explorer
One more suggestion for your route, take 101N then the 85, then onto 280N this will cut some time out of the trip. As has been said, 92 is your only route over the hill and don't do it during rush hour.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
exportman wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, folks. Samsontdog: first time for us to go to this park. Was able to score an ocean front site in April. The google earth view makes this place look so very nice. Question: are the sites on a cliff or close to sea level. Can't tell from the picture. Thanks.

sea level. What Ocean site did you get? I have camped at most sites.

JT
Explorer
Explorer
92 is the only viable route to/from 280 over to the coast; for this reason, it's heavily trafficked, particularly during commute hours and on weekends. I suggest that you make your trip on a weekday after 9:30/10:00 and before 3:00.

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response, folks. Samsontdog: first time for us to go to this park. Was able to score an ocean front site in April. The google earth view makes this place look so very nice. Question: are the sites on a cliff or close to sea level. Can't tell from the picture. Thanks.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We try to go to Half Moon Bay State Beach several times in the summer as it is one of fav places to camp. I tow a 34 ft TT over Hwy 92 with no problems sometimes there is a lot of traffic exp on a sunday afternoon or fri afternoon. We have camped there prob for 30 yrs or so

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Nov we came across the San Mataeo bridge onto 92 going to Pillar Point RV park on Half Moon Bay. We have a 40' DP with a toad. 92 is very windy and hilly, but the traffic moves at about 20 MPH because of the trucks on the curves and hills. It wasn't a problem at all. I wouldn't want to do it in the dark with a large MH for the first time though.

PP is a nice RV park - if someone would just shoot the fog horn out on the point that goes 24 hours a day.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.