cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any "must see" towns in NE section of US?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving Miami in May, going thru the Adirondacks then heading East to Maine, Conn.,Mass., Vermont, New Hampshire. I would like to stay in a small picturesque town a couple of days then jump to another town then another and head back to Miami. Hope to eat lobster as much as I can in those areas. Have been to Martha's Vineyard, Acadia NP, Bar Harbor. What town would you recommend to stay a few days?
18 REPLIES 18

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor, Maine. My favorite place, so much to do and a National Park!

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
Campobello is wonderful, though remote. However, be sure to bring your passports if you're planning on visiting. It's in Canada.

Camden: pretty town but absolutely jammed with people. Slow going through town. The state park doesn't have full hook-ups. We prefer Thomaston which is only 20 minutes or so away. Less people, full hook-ups, and convenient to most any place in the mid-coast.

Red's Eats --- not worth the wait, and if you're towing there's little place to park. Chewonki in Wiscasset, however, is great.

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
If you're starting in VT, then you'd head East over to Jackman (river rafting), down past Greenville (Moosehead Lake), over thru Guilford, Dover-Foxcroft, to Bangor. From there I'd take "The Airline" (Rte 9) over East to Campobello Island (see FDR) stay at Cobscook State Park,. Then I'd head back towards Bar Harbor(KOA), Camden (Camden Hills State Park), Boothbay Harbor, Wiscasset (Red's Eats) and stay at Chewonki, before I went to LL Bean's in Freeport.

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide on visiting Boston, I highly recommend Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton, MA. Very easy to get to, close to public transportation and the office staff are fantastic about having suggestions for seeing the city and how best to get there.http://minutemancampground.com/

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Acadia NP in Maine is a beautiful place to visit.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Boston, Concord, Lexington, Sandwich, Race Point, Gloucester, Rockport, Newburyport, all in MA, Newport, RI Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Moosehead Lake, Baxter State Park, Kittery, all in ME Mystic Seaport, CT, Stowe, VT, Portsmouth, N. Conway, White Mountains NH, Gettysburg, PA. Feel free to PM me as well with specifics. All seafood restaurants are NOT alike.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
You need to say what you like to do - hiking, biking, kayaking or just sightseeing and enjoying the food. Lots of great places - bike trails around Lexington and Concord to see the historical sites - hiking in White Mountains - lots of pretty lakes.

elle8
Explorer
Explorer
if you like the woods then you absolutely must see millinocket maine ,,,although its a truck logging road ,,,im not sure you can drive a MH or trailer the whole length of it . so hopefully your towing . its called golden rd . its along the penobscot river . it will take all the way over to greenville ,,,moosehead lake region ,,from there to jackman ,,, in millinocket a must see is baxter state park ,,,,see the whole thing ,,, you might never leave ,,,breath taking . have a camera ready ,,bone up on your fly fishing ,,,, again if towing a toad ,,,drive golden rd . if you come to a side road ,,,take it ,,, it will lead to something else spectacular . lots of white water rafting if your into that . i could spend the whole season just in that general area .

i was born in and raised in boston , if your a baseball fan ,,, GO TO FENWAY PARK ,,,, its a gem . as far as the city ,,,,DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DRIVE YOUR MH THROUGH IT . land on the outskirts and toad in , or take a train in . everyone thinks boston is huge ,,,its not all all . you can walk the whole historical city in half a day ,,, lots and lots of history . see it if your into the history ,,, if your seeing it for a meal ,,, then head right to the north end ,,,italian ,,, right beside that is all the sea food restaurants youll want . EAT THE SEAFOOD . of course our famous clam chowder . every bit as good in maine to .

i could go on forever ,,, if i can help you ,,,contact me with any questions . your in for a awesome trip . oh lots of tolls in maine .

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Boothbay, ME and Camden, ME are both pretty coastal towns.

Shore Hills Campground in Boothbay has a low cost shuttle that takes you to Boothbay Harbor so you don't have to drive and find parking in the little town. Mainiac Lobster company delivers steamed lobster right to your campsite.

Camden Hills State Park is very close to the scenic town. The park includes Mount Battie which you can drive or hike to the peak for great views of the harbor below.

elle8
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend Camden Maine on coastal Route 1. Cappy's Chowder house has great eats! stay @ Camden Hills State Park or Megunticook By The Sea in nearby Rockport.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Nantucket should not be missed.
Plimouth mass for its history.
Provincetown maybe.
Its not a town, but maybe mohonk mountain house (the last of the mountain houses and its going to cost you)....near new paltz ny

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
Thomaston, Maine. great place to use as a base for the mid-coast area. Saltwater Farm Campground.

Concord, Mass. Minuteman Campground -- not in Concord, but nearby.

Salisbury/Amesbury, Mass. Various campgrounds in the area. State park in Salisbury. Stayed a Beach Rose (or something like that) nice CG with cement pads, but VERY tight! Not particularly dog friendly. Also near to Salem, MA, which is always good to visit. Catch the train into Boston from Salem -- $4 for all day parking (last I knew).

fred.

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Adams brewery tour is always a fun way to spend a day.
Home is where the Marine Corps sends me.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old Forge, NY
Burlington, VT (Ben & Jerry's)
Cabot, VT (Cabot Creamery & Cheese)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31