cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone taken the Hwy 385

eagle425
Explorer
Explorer
From South Dakota down to the i80. Just wondering if it was mountainous, or pretty straight shot. We’re in a 35 foot coach pulling a 20’ car. I know taking the shortcut is a really curving road and at a steep angle. We’re heading from mt Rushmore to four corners monument. Hopefully 385 to the i80 and up to four corners won’t be as mountainous of a route. Thank you to anyone who’s taken those routes and has info on them.
7 REPLIES 7

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
There are no awful roads thru mountains. Especially on motorcycles.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

eagle425
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, looking for side trips to take out 9 yr. old granddaughter. We did the trip 9 years ago with our grandson, now it’s her turn, he was into motorcycles so took him to Sturgis but she’s not, the large frying pan she would get a kick out of. We went from South Dakota to Estes Park then down, awful roads thru mountains, but she’s not into that, so going straight down. Different route than we took with our grandson. if anyone else has any tips, we would sure appreciate it. Thanks

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
As previously said 385 no problem. Nice very short side trip that I thought was interesting was the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron NE just a few miles east of town. Another one if you just need a short break from driving is CarHenge in Alliance Nebraska. We were passing through and saw the sign went and checked it out since we were looking for a place to take a break anywayn. Sort of like the largest frying pan in the world type of thing just odd
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to encounter real mountain highways on your way to Four Corners. Not on 385 but I-80 up to Four Corners is confusing. Four Corners is at the extreme SW corner of Colorado. More information please.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
A little hilly. Grades are easy. Not mountainous, in SD from Hot Springs to Neb. state line, 4 lane. Also, I'm not aware of aplace called 4 corners along US 385 from its start in Deadwood SD south into Co.
OP , double check on which forum you post your question. You should have posted in roads and routes , not forum help. A moderator will likely correct it for you.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do every road I can at least once unless a DOT says I can’t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad