Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway from TOK to Dawson

67DART_GT_CONV
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

How many miles are gravel from TOK to Dawson?

More important, how bad is the road? Brand New Truck andTrailer and I am considering bypassing the route although wanted to see Chicken and Dawson.
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Is there any camping off Top of World Highway?

Lots of places to stop and drycamp for the night along the Top of the World. Quiet at night too, because the Customs office closes so no traffic.

No campgrounds on the Canadian side, but a couple of State campgrounds on the Alaska side-Taylor Hwy.

Taylor Hwy: http://yukonsights.ca/TaylorHwy.html
Top of the World Hwy: http://yukonsights.ca/TopOfTheWorld.html

Top of the World in September
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any camping off Top of World Highway?

67DART_GT_CONV
Explorer
Explorer
THanks for all of the replies, I will call it when I get to Dawson,
Thanks Again

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Whitehorse take that highway to Dawson City. It's paved and Sue said above that it wasn't great last year because of repairs so perhaps it will be good this year. Keep in mind that on your whole trip you will get different conditions from the previous year. The roads change constantly even from spring to fall of one year. We took this road a few years ago with our 40' motorhome and it was in excellent shape.

We've also left our RV in Tok and just did a day trip to Chicken on pavement.

We've also driven the whole Top of the World Highway via Whitehorse, Dawson City and on to Tok. We had beautiful weather and the highway was in good condition. Watch the weather forecast and just spend another day or two staying put until the rain stops and the road dries a little. This probably won't be your first time dealing with unforeseen conditions along this trip.:) You need to stay flexible.

You have many options and I really think it's worth getting to Dawson City somehow. It's a fun place full of history.

Also, you'll have to drive through Destruction Bay area and it's usually in iffy condition.

All you can do on the gravel roads is to drive slow and not be in a hurry. If you have room, pull over as far as you can and perhaps even stop until oncoming traffic passes. However, you should never get off the road on Top of the World Highway. It isn't stable and you'll get mired. The road is wide enough for two vehicles so just stop in your lane until the oncoming vehicle passes. It's no big deal.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
seeing Chicken is not a problem. when in Tok it is only 1 1/2 hour drive to Chicken. about 70 miles more or less. when we were there is was a paved road almost all of the way. Dawson via TOW highway is different. I have been told that if it is raining or recent rain then not a good idea. this is my plan for this year.
good luck.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
No gravel when I made the drive in 2014.

I assume that was a typo - as others have said, there's many miles of gravel.

Between Tok and Chicken?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
No gravel when I made the drive in 2014.

I assume that was a typo - as others have said, there's many miles of gravel.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it last year (2015) in our 2014 Bounder 33C towing a jeep. Nothing broke, no dings, dents, or scratches we could see.

Here is our write up/pictures of the experience.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Your good pavement to about 1/2 mile before Chicken, we're talking "Alaska good" then gravel to just past Eagle cutoff, pavement to the border then gravel to just before civilization going down to the river.

A very enjoyable ride if there's no smoke. Smoke so bad last year we couldn't see many vistas.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, the Klondike Highway between Whitehorse and Dawson City was bad due to repairs. Some stretches were fine, others were downright nasty. The Top of the World Highway was much nicer, and the Dempster was better too.

This year, the Alaska Highway is rougher in spots that weren't so bad last year. Many frost heaves and dips showing up, even on stretches that were repaired/rebuilt last year.

The stretches they rebuild can be 5-10 km of chipseal. Nasty big pebbles they're using now too - my car's windshield finally bit it - a truck going the other way tossed a good sized rock onto my car.

So you won't be able to avoid gravel / rocks.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
No gravel when I made the drive in 2014. The road after Chicken toward Dawson City was under repair and gravel until the Canadian border, then broken pavement until the ferry.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed