cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houston area

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be in the Houston area the week of March 17th. So far the agenda is Lakewood Church, Johnson Space Center and the aquarium. Have a few other destinations but the DW will hitch a ride with her sister. Spending the 19/20th in Galveston and already have the campground booked.. don't plan on moving those days!

The space center should be okay parking with the RV not sure with Lakewood/aquarium. Renting a car during the week is big $$ and hate to drag the car down for just a couple days. Anyone with experience with these 2 area's? We'll be in a 28ft and it's fairly maneuverable.

Also since the inlaws have excessive junk cars any decent but affordable RV parks in the southern area between the 2 loops. Looks like alot of RV resorts! Thinking about just going east to San Leon area.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)
17 REPLIES 17

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Just a update since we just got back. We stayed a couple nights at the Allstar RV resort. Nice but kinda pricey for us.. not saying it's not worth it by all means. The rest of nights we were able to stay in the inlaws driveway. We didn't go Lakewood they said no parking and since we just got into town and was tired didn't try. Unfortunately after that my sister in law let us borrow her car for a couple days.

The aquarium even though we took the car maybe on the RV parking if you went early enough. The museum of natural science which the zoo is also next door is a yes. The space center yes on parking just follow the bus signs. The kemah boardwalk yes but park further out so you don't have to pay. Didn't have alot of issues driving around Houston.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Another place closer than Ron Hoover would be Bay Colony RV Resort on FM 517.

You can use this to get an idea what's available http://www.campingroadtrip.com/campgrounds
Search League City, Texas
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
artguys wrote:
OP...try Ron Hoover in La Marque on I-45/Gulf Fwy...about exit 9 or 10...It's a RV dealer + service with lots of empty spaces...puts you close enough to everything...I'm a customer, kinda forgot about him.Tel: 409 935 7101.
Good Tip.

OP: I'm sending you a PM
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
OP...try Ron Hoover in La Marque on I-45/Gulf Fwy...about exit 9 or 10...It's a RV dealer + service with lots of empty spaces...puts you close enough to everything...I'm a customer, kinda forgot about him.Tel: 409 935 7101.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know where in San Leon you plan on staying. San Leon in general is a bit depressed. Do a Google map street view of the area and where you are staying.

Marina Bay is 1st class but yea, a bit pricey. However, it's convenient and located in a nice safe, accommodating area. Then again, If you stay on Galveston and drive up to SC Houston you would spend the difference on gas.

I will say this: If we pulled into San Leon my DW would immediately say we are not staying here. I would then be busting tail looking for some place else 😞
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
So no to San Leon.. sounds like KCK only with illegals! Marina Bay? At $52 that's a bit pricey. Kemah RV Resort is down the street and cheaper.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh on Top Water...But in San Leon it's Gihooleys and maybe Bubbas.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Believe not...just the park itself. Since the HL&P plant went on standby years ago no more warm waters flow and fishing is almost non existant. Actually the plant was sold and is being taken down.

Explorer II
Explorer II
artguys wrote:
2112...actually Channelview south(Baycliff) is the wild wild west.
Channelview South, LOL that does fit 🙂

Is the RV park at Spillway Park still in business? I haven't ventured that way in several years.

There was another little RV park in Baycliff just off of 146 that didn't look too bad years ago. I believe the guy that owned Bay Area RV storage and rental on 146 owned that as well. Maybe his FIL owned it. Is it still there?

Top Water is another fun seafood dive to check out.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
And OP...again the RV facility is in Clear Lake Shores on FM 2094/marina bay drive.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
2112...actually Channelview south(Baycliff) is the wild wild west.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
It has been said that there are two types of people in San Leon, those hiding from the law and those that will soon be hiding from the law.

:B :B True enough!

But, if you happen to be in San Leon you can tour Railean Rum where they make some excellent craft rum.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Call Lakewood and ask them about parking. I doubt you would find anything on that side of the freeway. Same with the Aquarium if you are indeed going to the one downtown. There may be a parking lot you can fit in close by.
Kemah Boardwalk is cool if you have kids. Otherwise go to the one downtown.

Rudy and Paco's is not a meal, it's an experience. Well worth the $$. Dress accordingly and enjoy.

It has been said that there are two types of people in San Leon, those hiding from the law and those that will soon be hiding from the law.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions! My DW is wanting to go to China or Korean Town so she'll probably go with her sister... sounds like a opportunity to visit PPL motorhomes although she'll veto that. Ironic I've been watching they're youtube video's.

Didn't realize there was 2 aquarium's will have to look into that. Is other Moody Gardens? Our campground will be 3 miles from Moody. Didn't see one in Kemah unless I missed it. And yes on the difference with the space centers. The space center campground doesn't sound appealing to us although it is a possibility. San Jacinto and Battleship Texas is now on the list, but how is the parking? Found the info on the walking info for the tree's will look into that as well.

May just pull the car down shouldn't cost over 1 mpg with the Focus.