cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How welcome will my large breed dog be in Mexico?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

I have traveled throughout the US with my Golden Retrievers and found that in most area people receive them quite well. There have been some exceptions though...

My kids have all been very gentle and well mannered. Golden's typically are very people friendly. Unfortunately I have found some places where they were decidedly unwelcome because of their size (90-110lbs). Unfortunately we are down to one remaining. She is a 108lb "teddy bear".

What have your experiences been with local's attitude towards large breeds been in Mexico? Everything I have read so far regarding travel in Mexico with dogs has come from folks with smaller breeds.

I don't anticipate any issues at RV parks but wonder about walking in town and taking taxi's etc?

Thanks

Steve
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
27 REPLIES 27

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few tips:

Ella no es bravo SHE IS NOT MEAN

Es un mascota manso: MILD MANNERED (TEMPERAMENT) PET

Amable: FRIENDLY

Se puede mostrar SHE CAN BE PETTED

No tiene pulgas SHE DOES NOT HAVE FLEAS

Dog control down here can be brutal. Veneno para ratas en salchichas. Rat poison hidden inside a piece of hot dog. Best to keep her on a leash. The consequences are too awful to contemplate.

Mexicanos have a fetish for macho breeds. Pit bulls and Rottweilers. When you are walking her. Don't panic if one of them charges you. The magic is she's female. Te other dog will charge, sniff, bristle, then lose interest.

If she bushwacks at all, check her ears nightly for garrapatas, ticks.

Little boys and girls are scared of dogs. If you take a moment and pet her, use a phrase or two printed above and hug the dog, the chances are good the child will fall in love with her, and pet her and hug her too. To say this is touching is an understatement.

I wore my arm out repeatedly tossing a stick in the ocean for a Golden Retriever. I like big dogs and for temperament, a golden is tough to beat. They can be a real lifelong pal.

Que le vaya bien!

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
I took a 130lb Newfoundland to Mexico twice and Central America once. The people for the most part really liked him once they became comfortable. They are known as non aggressive breed and good with kids. When at police or military check points they would look in the truck and see him, at first they would be surprised and ask if he was aggressive, I would tell them no, and they would usually laugh once they heard his name was "Oscar," not a common name for a dog there! The same rules apply there that they do in the states, even though most Latinos don't see dogs as pets they same we do up north, pick up after them, keep them on a leash, don't let them eat trash, don't take them inside the oxxo. I would highly recommend that you bring medication for fleas/ticks and especially heart worm, my dog contracted heart worm there and it was really hard. Good luck!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Quite a few vets now have chip readers. The obvious are major metro areas such as Tijuana, Guadalajara, Monterrey, D.F. and also in Puerto Vallarta, Villa Dorado, La Penita, and Merida to name a few.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU!!!!

I really appreciate all of the responses. I had reservations given the somewhat different attitude the general Mexican culture has towards dogs as pets.

My dogs are my kids and I was somewhat surprised when I was traveling the East Coast and found that there were significant groups of people who were deathly afraid of my kids.

You all have reminded me of my first trip to PV when I went to a little palapa restaurant at Mismaloya and had a stray that I had befriended on the beach follow me into the restaurant and lay under my table while I ate breakfast.

Thank you all again. I am looking forward to my upcoming travels even more.

Well... I had started this post earlier today and was distracted by call regarding our home. Looks like we have a solid offer on the table and hope to be closing in three weeks. That means we will be Mexico bound earlier than expected. WoooHooo!!!!!
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
We love being able to bring ours into an outdoor restaurant with us. Some people don't appreciate it but they are largely from NOB

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
Because of recent intensive spay/neutering programs in Mexico there are far fewer strays on the streets but they are still there. Many local kids (and some adults) throw rocks at dogs they assume are strays so be careful. Also, be considerate. Many people do not like to see a dog laying on the counter where they would like to eat or swimming in the pool. Stick to the ocean, your dog will love it!

pomsplus
Explorer
Explorer
More and more restaurants are not allowing dogs, health inspectors but there is usually a. Outdoor restsurs t that will let them stay. Be digilgent of stray dogs,even though mine was on leash and/or being carried she has been attacked. A lot of MexicansI enjoy our pets.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Just like anywhere else in North America, yes Mexico is part of North America!
There are folks that welcome them and others that don't!
If You see a Sign that reads No Mascota ,that means No Pets!
You frequently see Dogs and Cats in Restaurants and Bars in Mexico so there are actually more places that They are Welcome than in Canada or the USA!
Just be sure to keep Your Pets under a watchful Eye as some of Gods other creatures may not be as friendly as your Dog or Cat! A Leash is a lot like a Seatbelt in a Car.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Our Newfie attracted an adoring crowd everywhere. The young soldiers at the check points were startled at first and then spent their time petting her rather than checking the rig. We also had a 100# Bouvier and a Choc Lab...and 2 cats.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
it looks like he got pretty blitzed

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
That's cool!

Another ting that I like about Mexico people are not so stuffed up like some in the USA, nice fotos.

Did he engoy his drink?

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Dog on the swim up bar at Laguna del Tule RV park in Melaque. I suspect you would not see this at a pool in the US.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We found pieces of a yelly fish on the beach chopped possiblly by the prop of a boat and some of the other people also got stung.

I did not go to far into the water, one has to be carfull with children and pets, specially in hotter and humid climates, we have travelled with dogs and cats into Mexico and had good times with them, now we only have one kitty and she will be going with us to Mexico.

navegator

Talleyho69
The things we go through with our kids!