cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane warning for southern Baja & Mazatlan

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Juss so everyoen is aware, there is a possible Hurricane landfall this weekend in Southern Baja & Mazatlan with posibel seevere flooding. Hurricane Sandra is gaining strength. The next 24 hours will deterime its path.

14 REPLIES 14

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
NHC gave their last report at 10 am, it is a non event. Rain is still in the forecast.

northsloper
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a non-event for us here on the Isla south of Maz. Yesterday high tides convinced some to leave and all but the bad hombre Jose to move away from the beach. rain and breezy....still have another hour to high tide yet....so we shall see. Could have been much worse

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It is estimated to make land Saturday morning around 05:00 in the area of Mazatlan, heed the warnings and batten the hatches down.

navegator

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Calm all night at La Paz and just a few spots of rain. Slightly breezy now and too warm for my liking
Wind probability charts http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep2+shtml/203458.shtml?hwindloop?#wcontents show Sandra has taken a sharp turn to the east and isn't impinging on Baja at all.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I prefer This site for hurricane watch.

As to the warm waters - this summer and fall Baja and Sea of Cortez were much warmer than usual, and in South Ca too. This is to be expected with El Nino years, but this time El Nino was more severe than ever. Something must be brewing on this planet. October was like September, with temps in upper 90s and thunderstorms.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
La Paz 5:30pm - dry and the wind is moving the palm tree fronds a little. Sky partly cloudy
Tony

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Lates report, La Paz wind and rain, Los Cabos strong winds and rain, the track has veered South.

navegator

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm! So a waterfront RV park in La Paz is maybe not ideal after all. Only just put the slide out and connected power.
Tony

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some fish from warm water to the South have even gone further North along both sides of the Baja Peninsula and in to Southern California, some animals in the Arctic Circle are dying of starvation, the next mass extinction will will not be a meteorite, or a super volcanic eruption but man made.

Adios mundo cruel!

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The best fisherman in our area tells me there are fish here that no one recognizes. Normally they stay where the water is warmer. But our sea temps are very high. Heck the outdoor temp is 84 right now and has been close to that for the last 4 days! Normal is more like 70.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
ENSO sea surface temps are eye-opening warm for this time of year, few meteorological "norms" apply. Rash is the person who tries to predict exactly what is going to happen in the next 24-72 hours. Have you noticed the number of words like "Unexpected" "unpredicted" "Unusually Rapid" and "Erratic" that were part of the NWS NOAA forecast nomenclature this summer and autumn? Even the Coriolis Effect has been psychotic in 2015.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The site that I monitor is http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ this site gives me both sides of Mexico, with the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico being the principal and the Pacific coast the secondary.

It is late in the season and this hurricane being so strong so far out might get stronger before hitting land, if it does heed the warnings and move inland for protection, the wind is your No 1 worry with the water flooding and mud slides being second.

Remember that in an emergency you need to be prepared to be on your own for a few days until general services are brought back and food is delivered, conserve your water, battery power and fuel, specially fuel some times underground tanks get contaminated with water.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
That is what they said about Patricia. I no longer take any chances, especially with the ocean temperature as high as it is. I have a caravan I am responsible for. I have seen what Patricia did to some RV's.

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
The National Hurricane Center, the people who actually do this for a living and send planes into the hurricanes, call it a tropical storm by the time it hits (more or less) Baja Sur.. lots of rain and some wind heading towards the west coast, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep2.shtml?5-daynl#contents