cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 140 Winnemucca to Lakeview,, Or & US395 Lakeview to I15

romarambler
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on traveling west to Klamath Falls, Or about Sep 15th in 43'DP towing a Traverse. Would like to go via the Winnemucca-to-the-sea Hwy (rte140). I traveled this route by auto in the mid 1960's but would appreciate input about the suitability of this road by large RV today.

Also need info for travel the last week of Sep from Lakeview to Victorville,Ca in the same rig. Another factor will be the max altitude along this route, as my wife can't take much above 7500'.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
romarambler wrote:
Plan on traveling west to Klamath Falls, Or about Sep 15th in 43'DP towing a Traverse. Would like to go via the Winnemucca-to-the-sea Hwy (rte140). I traveled this route by auto in the mid 1960's but would appreciate input about the suitability of this road by large RV today.

Also need info for travel the last week of Sep from Lakeview to Victorville,Ca in the same rig. Another factor will be the max altitude along this route, as my wife can't take much above 7500'.

Thanks in advance.

Winnemucca to Lakeview is a good two lane road and a good drive but you need to fill up in Winnemucca as their not much in between Winnemucca and Lakeview.

From Lakeview to Victorville, Ca. is a nice drive on 395 and in Sept. you will most likely have great weather.
We have done both routs many times and enjoy the ride.
Have nice trip. Jay
J herb

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
romarambler wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Having traveled that route many times in an 18 wheeler, the 140 is a great route, if you like beauty and hills. After Denio,NV You will climb quite abit then a 40mph right curve is a 900-1000 ft drop to the valley. After you get to the bottom it is mostly flat and the left turn to Lakeview and K Falls. There used to be a rv park in Winni, on Winni Blv 5155 E Winnimucca Bl. Stay the night in Winni then go as early in the AM as you can the high desert heat may get to your equip.

Once in Medford after a beautiful drive, if you are going to the Oregon coast ,,Medford NOrth on I-5 to Roseburg, Then to the coast on Hwy 42, there are a lot of state parks in the area on the 101 south.

At Cresent City CA, you can cut back to Grants Pass and Medford, then back to K.Falls. At K.Falls take the 97 south to Mt.Shasta, I-5 , then find your way to Susanville/Sparks, NV and hwy 395 out of Carson City.395 will take you to Victorville. Safe and happy travels.:B
Chuck

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We made that exact trip in July, 2013 from Klamath Falls to Winnemucca, NV. We enjoyed the trip and had no problem towing our 34'fifth-wheel. It is certainly a "lonely" road, so be sure to fuel up, but I would definitely go that way again.