cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medoc Travel Insurance

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
I am a BC resident. I sought and obtained approval from BC med to be outside of BC for the year 2013. As usual I purchased a 182 day policy for my travels to Mexico. Now when I ammended my out dates with evidence , Johnson Inc Medoc tell me my insurance is void as I was not in my home province. I am happy with the cancellation as I have had several issues which require all sorts of documentation and total cost is less than my premium. IE I have learned that in the future I will self insure as I am going to fly down instead of spending a month and a half in USA.nn
Now my problem is: I am in Mexico plan on entering USA 28 Mar and will be transitting/ holidaying for a month. What are your suggestions on me getting insurance for my high risk medical expense issues in USA.
Obama Care ?? lol just a joke. Please , I need some advice.
An ex Class A with towed. Now Bungalow in Melaque.
16 REPLIES 16

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
As I reported in another thread, I am pulling the pin on RVing and going to fly to Mexico. i will self insure as medical costs here are very low. In addition I am going to apply for the new permanent residency option at consulate in Halifax and then apply for IMM or whatever perm res medical insurance. Cdn friends of mine have done that and they report excellent service with multi medical issues down here. Another joy of coming down here, especially when you can avoid high medical issues in the US of A by overflying.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Once you're in Canada, why not purchase the MEDOC supplemental plan which will provide coverage beyond the 40th day of a trip?

From the FSNA website :

"Briefly, some of the benefits of MEDOC that are not included with PSHCP are:

The Top 5
•MEDOC offers up to $5,000,000 as its policy limit.
•Up to $12,000 per insured, per trip for Trip Cancellation, Interruption and Delay insurance; PSHCP does not offer this coverage.
•Up to $3,000 for Vehicle Return; PSHCP does not offer this coverage.
•Up to $500 for Pet Return; PSHCP does not offer this coverage.
•Because PSHCP only provides coverage for trips of up to 40 days in duration, MEDOC offers a Supplemental Plan to provide coverage beyond the 40th day of your trip. Any claim incurred after the 40th day of your trip will be covered from first dollar ($1) with no deductible."

This is who we have our insurance through. I found it half the cost of Sun Life as my wife has a pacemaker.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Once you're in Canada, why not purchase the MEDOC supplemental plan which will provide coverage beyond the 40th day of a trip?

From the FSNA website :

"Briefly, some of the benefits of MEDOC that are not included with PSHCP are:

The Top 5
•MEDOC offers up to $5,000,000 as its policy limit.
•Up to $12,000 per insured, per trip for Trip Cancellation, Interruption and Delay insurance; PSHCP does not offer this coverage.
•Up to $3,000 for Vehicle Return; PSHCP does not offer this coverage.
•Up to $500 for Pet Return; PSHCP does not offer this coverage.
•Because PSHCP only provides coverage for trips of up to 40 days in duration, MEDOC offers a Supplemental Plan to provide coverage beyond the 40th day of your trip. Any claim incurred after the 40th day of your trip will be covered from first dollar ($1) with no deductible."
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to get a flight from Guadalajara to Vancouver and back for $685 Cdn. I will stay with my nephew who lives just off the Sky Train route which goes right to the airport. Vanamose Bounder Lew.

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
I am passing on this info as when I was flying in the RCAF we had a Flight Safety System (and of course they still do) with a moto. "learn from mistakes of others and report your own mistakes as we are not going to live long enough to make them all on our own"

Bounder Lew
Thank you for contacting Sun Life Financial. I welcome this opportunity to assist you.

Please note that as long as you return to your home province, you may leave again and benefit from a new 40 days of out of province coverage. There is no minimum amount of time. Please note that we may require, on a quality control basis, proof that you were back in your home province (gas bill, restaurant bill, etc.).

I hope this helps to clarify things for today as well as moving forward.

Should you require further information or clarification, we encourage you to contact us through our Web site at www.sunlife.ca/pshcp or by telephone at 1-888-757-7427, Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET).

Sincerely,

Kevin McDermott
Customer Care Centre
Sun Life Financial Canada

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding individual travel plans - yes, this is how most "single trip travel insurance plans" work. It has to be purchased before the trip, and coverage ends when the covered period ends or when you return back, whichever is earlier. When you buy 180 days coverage, some plans would also require you to wait 1 month before purchasing another 180 days coverage. Keep in mind that BC MSP will cancel your 1-year exemption (which can be as long as 2 years), if you return to BC for 30 days or more, because they will consider then that your year-long trip has ended. Some travel plans allow incidental trips back to home country without interrupting the coverage, but it has to be "incidental", i.e. your intent is to continue the trip and leave the country soon again.

There exist such thing as "Annual travel insurance". Most companies have such a plan, it allows unlimited number of trips, you leave and return whenever you want, and remain covered in any of these trips, though the duration of each trip is usually short, like 30 days.

Though sounds like you already have a group plan of "annual travel insurance" variety, covering short trips.

There are also some VERY expensive annual plans that will simply cover you all year round all over the world, including your home country, no matter how long you stay where. Check IHI BUPA for example. Very expensive.

BC charges for health care plan mostly those who can afford. People with income more than 30K per person pay $69 a month (was $66 last year). As the income gets lower, so do the premiums, and people below 22K per person don't pay anything.

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Message from: Customer Service
Date posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 5:43 p.m. EST

Thank you for contacting Sun Life Financial. I welcome the opportunity to assist you.

Our practice is to allow another 40 day period no matter how much (or how little) time is spent back in the home province.

You must be back in your home province in order for the 40 days to be reinstated.

Under the terms of your plan, there is coverage for Out of Province/Out of Country for the first 40 days of travel up to a maximum of $500,000.00 CDN per individual, per trip. Eligible expenses will be reimbursed at 100 percent with no annual deductible provided coverage is in effect at the time the expenses are incurred. These expenses are eligible when they are incurred for emergency treatment of injury or disease suffered by the insured person while traveling outside the province of residence, and where such treatment commenced no more then 40 days from the insured person’s date of departure from the province of residence or while the participant was on official travel status.

The travel benefit covers expenses for:
- Public ward accommodation and auxiliary hospital services in a general hospital.
- The services of a physician or surgeon.
- One-way economy airfare for a professional attendant to transport the participant to the province of residence when medically required.
- Medical evacuation, which may involve an ambulance service, when suitable care, as determined by the Administrator, is not available in the area where the emergency occurred.
- Family assistance, such as reimbursement for the cost of the return of dependant children to Canada, subject to certain limits.

There is no pre-existing condition clause. While we will not request a note from the patient’s physician, you should however contact your family physician to ensure your condition is stable and that it would not require medical attention while traveling. We will not reimburse costs associated with routine or foreseen treatments of an existing condition.

You must contact our Out of Country office, Allianz Global Assistance within 14 days of the emergency or disease at the following phone numbers:
- In Canada or U.S. 1-800-667-2883
- Outside of North America, collect call to 519-742-1342.

Please note that this information is based on your current benefits plan.

Additionally, we have an arrangement with Royal and Sun Alliance Travel Insurance, a leading travel insurance provider, which offers supplemental travel insurance solutions to customers of Sun Life Financial. They offer flexible out-of-country and out-of-province coverage options to ensure you can travel worry-free; and, as a Sun Life group plan member, you receive preferred rates Your group plan may provide sufficient medical coverage, however, keep in mind that your coverage does not include trip interruption and cancellation insurance, coverage for baggage loss / theft, or the option to add additional days of medical coverage; the supplemental coverage does. If you are interested, please contact Royal and Sun Alliance Travel Insurance at 1-855-780-0458.

Should you require further information or clarification, I encourage you to contact us through our website at www.mysunlife.ca/PSHCP or by telephone at 1-888-757-7427, Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST).

Thank you,

Nicole Simon
Customer Care Centre
Sun Life Financial

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Rob. My investigation has indicated that all travel insurance for Canadians assumes you leave your Care Card province. As you can see I am a bit paranoid about going bankrupt so I am going to fly back to BC. What I have not gotten is the time I have to remain there, and I think it is one of those questions they don't want to answer as it points out a beauracratic red tape glitch.
Medoc have refunded me which will cover my airfare and I love flying, in addition I can delay my arrival in Nova Scotia by another week. Yes I am going to transfer to NS Health Care with the 3 month waiting period and it is free there. Yes BC is the only province in Canada that charges for Provincial Health Care actually it is called " Dafodil Curtain Care".

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch and Ouch again! What does Good Sam travel Insurance have to say?

You might ask Marcus about Your situation and get His opinion.

In all likely hood You are going to have to head to Bc by Plane . You might be. Using up some of those Air Miles Eh!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
A comment to " they must do something to stabalize" is correct but I am going to pay through the nose as I have a few assets. someone with no assets and no insurance yes, but I dont want to go bankrupt and have my military annuity garnished for the rest of my life presuming I am still alive after the accident!! If I am dead who cares except for my survivors and by the way I would like them to reap the rewards of my contributions to my annuity while serving the Queen of Canada.
I am getting the run around from Medoc/Johnson Inc as I think they know I make noise when I experience an anomaly like this.
I think this would make a good Go Public on CBC. howver, I must admit that my policy does say "outside home province/Canada."
I think I screwed up, even though I was enticed by BC Medical.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Daveed: Yes but they will also have you sign a promissory note or something similar.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is not an answer but a comment...

Public hospitals in the USA must by law admit anyone with a serious or life threatening illness and stabilize the patient until such time that they can be transported to a hospital or other medical facility of their choice. This may buy enough time until they get home. Better than nothing.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Lew: Years ago the father of one of my friends wintered in AZ. He had a heart condition and could only get 30 days of insurance. He would fly home every month for a few days. When you stated " Public Health Insurance" where you referring to the Canada health Plan or some other plan? Will your BC insurance be valid the minute you return?

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested in this thread. I have discovered that I cannot buy insurance from a Canadian provider since I am outside Canada and have not been in my home province since Nov 12.
I think my cheapest and safest coverage option is to fly from GDL to Canada, and indeed I think I will have to to go to YVR, the question is how long I will have to sleep in the airport?