cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 24 going through Nashville?

lmarcrum
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaving Chicago suburbs going to Florida. Looking for a good route. Is there any steep inclines going 24 through Nashville? Big hills make me nervous!!! We are going Fort de soto. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you
9 REPLIES 9

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
barbandwayne wrote:
The drive thru Monteagle is so worth it. The scernery is gorgeous, especailly after a rain.

And Briley Parkway around the city is a great suggestion. We do that all the time. And it goes right by Camping World!

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
The drive thru Monteagle is so worth it. The scernery is gorgeous, especailly after a rain.

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
Take the I65 to Montgomery and 231 to Florida. That is the way that I go. You miss Atlanta.
2013 Chev Silverado, 2500HD D/A
2010 32' Mountaineer model 285rld

JohnES
Explorer
Explorer
Monteagle isn't bad at all. Everytime I drive it I simply shift down to 2nd gear. That will keep you around around 50 mph and don't ride your brakes. The last thing you want is the burn them out. Also, don't get freaked out by the trucks. Just keep both hands on the wheel and stay focused, you will be all right.

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Monteagle is nothing to sweat about. I have to cross it almost every time I go camping. Just keep your speed up and you will be fine.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Mounteagle is about 100 miles south of Nashville, just north of Chattanooga. It's not bad. Take it slow and stay in the right lane. After getting to the top of Mounteagle it drops off so take it slow and don't ride your brakes. There are a few curves on the east side of Mounteagle. Nothing really to worry about as long as you don't try running 70 mph and riding your brakes the entire distance.
Another route option where you'll miss Mounteagle would be to take I-65 south from Nashville to Montgomery and AL 231 thru Dothan to Tallahassee. Chattanooga can be a bit of a pain at times and then there's Atlanta. Atlanta can go smoothly or it can be a major pain but there is always a lot of traffic. I-65 to Montgomery will avoid Monteagle, Chattanooga, and Atlanta. From Tallahassee you can take I-10 to I-75 and south or take Alt 27/19 along the west side.
Construction caution in Nashville on I-24 on the west side. The last couple of weeks I-24 went to 1 lane which caused traffic to back up, how far depended on the time of day, but always a backup. I don't know how long they're going to be working in that location.
Camped in every state

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
Monteagle outside of Nashville/Murphyfreesboro will test you because of the long steady grade. Traffic in Nashville can be VERY bad also so pick your times accordingly.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Straight through Nashville, no problem, just traffic so be careful. On south, Over Monteagle, and its not bad, just a slow pull for a bit. Over the ridge in Chattanooga, then all downhill to Florida. Have fun.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Only Monteagle. South of Nashville on I-24.

You could pick up I-40 toward Knoxville. Than I-75 to FL. Just mole hills this route.
Take the Briley and by pass Nashville.

I miss read your post first time.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+