cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoenix to Temecula route suggestions

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Heading to Temecula from Phoenix for the first time and I'm looking for some comments. Google maps has us routed from the I-10 to Palm Desert then 74 to 371 to 79 eventually into Temecula. Traveling with a 33' pull behind TH. Anyone familiar with this route? Other route options are: I-10 to 79 south into Temecula or the 10 to 60 to 215?? What kind of road is the Google map route?
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad
6 REPLIES 6

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken I-8 past El Centro, CA to Ocotillo, CA and picked up S2 taking you into Borrego Springs. Continue on S2 (a short steep uphill but very doable in an RV) and continue to 79 to Aguanga and into Temecula. It's a gorgeous drive! You'd have very little traffic once you leave I-8 until getting into Temecula.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
I frequently make the trip from Tempe to Escondido and pass through Temecula. The I-8 is too far out of the way to go to Temecula and would put you through some really bad traffic. I take the I-10 to CA-60 at Beaumont, follow the 60 to I-215 and that will feed into I15 in the Temecula area. However, the 60 becomes really narrow through some really bad hills for around 3-5 miles a few miles past Beaumont (a white knuckler without a trailer). If I was towing a trailer, I would take the I-10 all the way to the I-215 and head south. Watch for where the 215 joins up with CA-60 and goes east (yes, east!). If you stay on the main freeway, it becomes the CA-91 parking lot. It eventually connects with the I-15 but you will die of old age getting there. After getting on the 60, follow it east to where it branches back off to the 215. The 215 will merge with I-15 in the Temecula area.
Jeannie

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT take 74/79/371 from Palm Desert area!! It is steep, winding, and not recommended for RV's! Main problem area is on 74, 10 miles south of Palm Desert. Take I-10 to 60 to 215 south to Temecula. All easy driving. We drive this route from Phoenix several times a year.

60 does have a very short mountain pass to go through, maybe 2 or 3 miles long east of Moreno. Not steep but winds just a bit. All 4 lane. Stay in right lane as left lane is somewhat narrow with cement center divider.

If you are in the Phoenix east valley or south towards Ahwatukee area it may make more sense to take 347 (Maricopa Rd) to I-8 to I-15. That would avoid driving across metro Phoenix. I-8 has a long grade west of El Centro and traffic can be an issue on I-15 during rush hour.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
We just came home from Texas to Temecula. I'd suggest I-10 to the city of Beaumont 79 and follow it south to Temecula. There are a few turns but nothing major. Don't take the 79 near Palm Springs, it will take you around a mountain and small twisting streets. By taking the 79 near Beaumont, you save an hour of the 215 route. If you go I10 to the 15, it's the longer route by an additional hour.

Drive safe and P m me if you have questions.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
outdoorlovers wrote:
Take the I-10 west to 1-15 south. that takes you directly into Temecula.
Exactly. Why complicate it?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
Take the I-10 west to !-15 south. that takes you directly into Temecula.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen