cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 31 in Michigan

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We will be travelling from Mackinaw City to Traverse City and I'm wondering how going on Hwy 31 versus I-75 would be. Is 31 big rig friendly? Are there places to pull over and stop if we want to see a few things in Petoskey or Charlevoix?
5 REPLIES 5

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove from Mackinaw City to Alanson (where my sister lives) and I would recommend taking I-75 instead of that stretch. I told my sister, that was the roughest US highway I've ever been on. Only 2 or 3 miles of it was bad, but boy oh boy was it ever rough. Imagine a washboard.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Correction. No detour north bound us31. 2 lane highway. Wave to me as you go through petoskey.

Good to hear the construction is done! Haven't been through there since early June.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Correction. No detour north bound us31. 2 lane highway. Wave to me as you go through petoskey.

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Great - thanks!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
US-31 is certainly big rig friendly. There's plenty of road side parks, like miniature rest areas, as well as businesses with easy access parking lots. Petoskey is a bit of a mess right now, as half the highway is closed (Northbound lane detours, southbound lane is very narrow.)

The road between Petoskey and Pellston is very rough and bumpy... maybe I'm over sensitive but I found I couldn't go more than 35-40 for much of it.... people in bigger rigs were blasting right by me though.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed