cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 550 coming from South into Durango

doriko
Explorer
Explorer
This is will be my first trip in my 38 ft. motorhome to Colorado. Not used to mountain driving. I have been told by friend who has made the trip for 3 years that 550 is fine coming in from Cuba, but there is one long downgrade at Durango Any hints for a first time mountain driver? Will be towing a Honda CRV.
10 REPLIES 10

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
sullivanclan wrote:
We have traveled it often, back and forth from Ridgeway Colorado to Durango, one of the nicest drives anywhere. Due caution for any vehicle is necessary as these are mountain roads. Most challenging, on the psch is Silverton to Ouray/Ridgeway area. That is North of Durango on 550.

One thing we do when towing our jeep on steep roads is for one of us to drive the toad, lessening the load at times, that is just an option. Take your time, don't let others push you. Enjoy!

The OP is asking about 550 SOUTH of Durango to New Mexico, not north. The south section is an easy mountain route as others have reported.

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled it often, back and forth from Ridgeway Colorado to Durango, one of the nicest drives anywhere. Due caution for any vehicle is necessary as these are mountain roads. Most challenging, on the psch is Silverton to Ouray/Ridgeway area. That is North of Durango on 550.

One thing we do when towing our jeep on steep roads is for one of us to drive the toad, lessening the load at times, that is just an option. Take your time, don't let others push you. Enjoy!
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

tom3171
Explorer
Explorer
we live in the vicinity. the "one long downgrade" on 550 coming into durango is called farmington hill by the local folk, its not very long but do slow down and shift into a lower gear. there is a stop light at the bottom of the hill and then you need to make a left turn into durango.550 from cuba,new mexico is the main route from the south into durango so all types of vehicles use it daily.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
3oaks wrote:
Just take your time and you'll be alright. It's a more exhilarating experience going up (north) from Durango driving in the outside lane. :E

We drove our Jeep from Durango to Silverton I saw nothing that I wouldn't take my coach over, including the 10,900 foot pass. North of that we don't know.
Sure. Even commercial semis travel that route. What's bad is when somebody coming down in the opposite lane is crowding the center line.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
From Cuba, New Mexico to Durango, CO on 550 is a very gentle drive. Your friend must be thinking of someplace else. 🙂
I know I was. I was thinking of the stretch of 550, the "Million Dollar Highway" between Durango and Silverton, Colorado to the north. :R

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Just take your time and you'll be alright. It's a more exhilarating experience going up (north) from Durango driving in the outside lane. :E

We drove our Jeep from Durango to Silverton I saw nothing that I wouldn't take my coach over, including the 10,900 foot pass. North of that we don't know.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
From Cuba, New Mexico to Durango, CO on 550 is a very gentle drive. Your friend must be thinking of someplace else. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We were up there last summer on our motorcycles and I didn't find any portion of the road I wouldn't take my rig on. Nothing real steep, up or down, but there are a few tight turns.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We just did it this year in a 40' great road. we stayed in a camp ground 5 miles north of Durango/. nice place.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.