cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 89A in Northern Arizona

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Would appreciate a description of Hwy89A in Northern Arizona. Scenic, but driving conditions. 38' MH towing.
12 REPLIES 12

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
To sum up...from Fredonia to Page...89 is shorter, straighter, with much less elevation change. 89A is longer, big elevation change, with doable curves especially on the down side.

If you just want to get to Page, take 89, which is scenic in itself.

As noted above, 89A is driven to get to the GCNP North Rim and/or Marble Canyon. But if you want a longer drive, with a little more varied scenery and turning your steering wheel left and right more, and want to go way up and way down in elevation, take 89A.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
89A has two distinct sections. The early replies assumed you were talking about the southern one, heading out of Sedona. The northern one crossing the Colorado is quite different. It does climb and curve more than 89 through Page, but it's still ok for big rigs.

From Google Maps terrain mode I see that Kanab is 5000ft, Jacobs Lake is 7800, and Marble Canyon 3600 (and north rim is 8200).

The problem stretch from Sedona, heads north up a canyon, then quickly climbs out of in a series of tight turns. I17 climbs the same amount, but with more distance and less curves.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pigfarmer wrote:
CA Traveler, do you drive a big rig and are you saying Hwy89A across to Page?
Yes, profile was in a earlier post. 89A is OK for the N Rim and 89 is better for a direct route.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler, do you drive a big rig and are you saying Hwy89A across to Page?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pigfarmer wrote:
HorseDoc, we are coming south out of Utah going to The Paiute campground near Fredonia, AZ. Was thinking about Hwy89A over to Page. After reading these posts, I think we'll take Hwy89 across Utah down to Page. Thoughts on that? I noticed we both joined RV.net in September of 2002. I beat you by 12 days LOL...
We've taken that section of 89A w/o any issues. Highly recommend you see North Rim.

Bob

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
HorseDoc, we are coming south out of Utah going to The Paiute campground near Fredonia, AZ. Was thinking about Hwy89A over to Page. After reading these posts, I think we'll take Hwy89 across Utah down to Page. Thoughts on that? I noticed we both joined RV.net in September of 2002. I beat you by 12 days LOL...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are talking about the road from Flagstaff to Sedona, do not do it in a big rig.

I am all in favor of adventure, and I don't shy away from difficult roads. But that road is not designed for big RVs.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stretch between Sedona north to Flagstaff has had a 50' maximum restriction for years but now with all of the ongoing construction/repairs they dropped it back to 30 feet {nothing over allowed}. As noted they have always enforced it. It is a gorgeous stretch of road but take your toad unless your coach is under 30' total length.

:C

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not fun when we did it several years ago. Friend bought some property in Sedona and wanted us to stop by and take some photos for him. He lives in N Georgia. We did not have a towed that trip and we left Sedona headed to Flagstaff and eventually the Grand Canyon. I believe they have added more shoulders to part of that road and guard rail. Some of the hairpin turns going north were scary with just the 36' Winnebago. I was lazy and didn't want to go back down South on 179 to get to I-79 just to turn north again. When we got to Flagstaff we turned back south to spend the night in Munds Park.
If don't HAVE to do 89A I suggest you look at the scenery on I-17 a leave autos and PU trucks to 89A.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you are referring to the section of 89A from Flagstaff to Prescott it's not a road for RVs except small ones. We've used 89A for the North Rim w/o issues.

Update: 89A between Sedona and Cottonwood is fine for large RVs and there are many off road camping sites which can be reached from several roads off of I17. The Red Rock Ranger District Visitor Center has an excellent map. I would also not take the 89A out of Cottonwood through Jerome.

Bob

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
not for 38 footers. lots of hair pin turns and narrow road.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like they may be enforcing the 30โ€™ limit.