cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 95 in Idaho from New Meadows to Coeur D'Alene.

MrRules
Explorer
Explorer
Is this road drivable? I see many signs regarding size limitations for this stretch of road but I do recall driving our motorhome on this route several years ago.

Stu
Stuart & Tippy Reid + Alex
2006 Alfa "See Ya" 40'
2016 Buick Enclave Dingy
8 REPLIES 8

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, we drove US 95 from south to north (Boise to Coeur d'Alene) towing our trailer. The two steep grades discussed by the others are uphill in the south to north direction. If you are going north to south, you won't have a problem, except possibly using your brakes too much.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
j3ff9ack wrote:
US 95 is a good road - as ramyankee mentioned, the only climb is north of Lewiston out of the river canyon. Enjoy the scenery...

White Bird is a climb too, but all doable if you've got the right truck for your fifth wheel.

We've driven that route north and south from Coeur d'alene.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically this highway drops into two river valleys, the Salmon and Snake, and thus has to climb back out on to the surrounding plateau. Lewiston is the lowest point in Idaho. The north bound drops are gentler than the climbs.

Both Whitebird and Lewiston have old grades, which climb at a slower rate with a lot more curves. The old cars had less power.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
As said there are two significant grades.

White bird which is a 7 percent climb with an elevation change of 2760 feet in about 7.5 miles.

Lewiston Hill as we call it but when you get to the top you will ask why do we call it a hill.

Lewiston has an elevation change of 2000 feet in about 6.5 miles with a max grade of 7 percent.

White Bird probably is as difficult as the Ike Gauntlet with the exception of the elevation. The top of White Bird is only 4327 feet.

With turbo chargers may be very close. But the summer time temperature at White Bird will be considerably greater with possible temps in the high 90's or even into the 100 range.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Same as others have posted, from our experience as well.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify - there are two grades on your proposed route: one at Whitebird, and the Lewiston Grade. Both are significant, but hundreds of cars and heavy trucks go through daily without issues.

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
US 95 is a good road - as ramyankee mentioned, the only climb is north of Lewiston out of the river canyon. Enjoy the scenery...
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe others will chime in but several years back with our previous 5th wheel we took this route and it was nothing major. There is White Bird Pass and it is a pretty decent grade for as I remember 7 miles. We did turn off in Grangeville and headed up 12 into Missoula.Have traveled 95 to Lewiston and to Coeur d'Alone trailerless and remember no issues...
Travel graces to you.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY