cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-55 or Hwy 3(The Great River Rd) in IL

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Going from NC to SD, and like to get off of interstates when possible, does anyone know what Hwy 3 is like in Illinois getting on in Cairo going North to St Louis instead of using the I-55? I have a 27'C and friend has a 34'C, no toads. Looks like a regular 2 lane road, would be nice if a wide 2 lane road. Thanks
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T
9 REPLIES 9

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven Rt3 from Cairo to StLouis a few times. Good road, no surprises.

Just follow the signs through Chester, and make the left at the caution light in Red Bud and you'll be good to go.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
If you want to get off I-55 and see something different then instead of taking Rt 3 along the river take Rt 127 just north of Cairo to Murphysboro. Rt 127 runs parallel to Rt 3. Where Rt 3 is generally in the river flats, Rt 127 runs thru the hills above the bluffs thru IL wine country. Rt 127 is a good road but hilly thru much prettier country.
Camped in every state

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I see the difference if going north of Alton, but we'll be going west at St Louis. Will probably get off Rte 3 at first bridge and get on I-55. Will watch river and weather when get that way in early May. That might be full/flood river time and not even get on 3. Thanks for ya'lls help.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said, not real exciting between Cairo and St Louis. If you decide to take that route, Chester would be a good stop if you like Popeye and Red Bud is a charming little town. But be cautioned about detours due to spring flooding as Allworth mentioned. I would also agree that the drive north of St Louis on the GRR is much more picturesque than the section of Rte 3 that you are asking about.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
For the OP:
LynnandCarol and mleekamp are talking about the Great River Road NORTH of St Louis. You indicated you are planning to travel Rt 3 between Cairo and St Louis. The route information they provided would not apply since St Louis is south of what they are talking about. Sometimes people try to be too helpful and give information not asked for or that confuses someone who is not familiar with the area.
If you do plan on changing your route to travel the Great River Road north of St Louis then you would be getting off of Rt 3 and taking Rt 100 and 96 or you could take the blacktop road from the Brussel's ferry to Hardin and pick up 100.
Rt 3 from just south of E St Louis thru to Alton is definitely not scenic. It's all industrial and you would get to enjoy the odor of the Metro-East refineries and other industry.
Camped in every state

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have driven most of the GRR between Wisconsin and Mississippi in both direction and always enjoy it. The small towns are great and the locals always (almost) seem happy to see you.

One note of caution. You did not say exactly when you would be traveling. During "high water" events in the Spring some bridges, and even some sections of the GRR itself, may be flooded. The detours may be on secondary County maintained roads. Way out of the way and narrow.

The Corps of Engineers maintains a website that reports flood stages and directs you to the proper State DOT for road condition info.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with LynnandCarol -- Great River road is awesome. Just did it in our TT last fall...stayed at Pere marquette state park. Took the ferry to Missouri and back. Drove up and down...lots to see and do. Great scenery. I had no issue with our TT..called a 27 but 30 foot overall.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
The great river road past Alton, IL is fabulous! Good road and a great IL state park just past Grafton, IL.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Rt 3 is generally on the river flats. Some hills but nothing too difficult. It's a very good road but nothing too exciting. Depends on what you expect to see along the route.
Probably the most notable site on Rt 3 is at Chester IL. It's "Home of Popeye". Chester IL is where the originator of Popeye is from.
There are much better Mississippi River roads if a person wants to see things off the interstate.
Camped in every state