cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE Narrow Toll Lanes (kinda long)

ljhl
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading back up to Maine this summer from Houston. I'm so tired of our normal route which takes us on I-84 from PA, NY, and CT into Massachusetts I-495 and on up to Maine, thought for a change we'd take the NY Turnpike to the Mass Pike and go across to I-495 that way. A couple years ago I took the Mass Pike the short distance between Sturbridge, MA to the exit for I-495. As I exited the highway headed to the toll plaza I was keeping to the far right where I expected to find the wider truck lane through the toll booths....when I got close I saw the far right lane was a Fast Lane without a toll collector. There was a bunch of traffic but I was able to get over to the next toll lane to the left and got in line behind some cars to a very narrow toll lane. My depth perception isn't what it used to be, I really dread these narrow car lanes with my MH. So, I'll ask someone from the area who uses the Mass Pike often....is there a wider toll lane somewhere there at the exit 11A plaza where I can pay my toll or are they all freakin' narrow lanes?? Thanks for any help!
2007 Dutch Star 4023
Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee
7 REPLIES 7

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Those without EZ-Pass they will receive a bill in the mail(based on their registration address).
That wouldn't work for us. On extended camping excursions, we don't return home for 2 months and never get to see our mail until then. Never know where we will be or how long we will be in one area, so mail forwarding won't work for us either.

New electronic automation is not always progress. :R

USPS will only hold mail for 30 days, so where do you send your mail that you don't see it for 2 months and without forwarding it?
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Some additional information:

Mass Live - Turnpike Tolls
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Those without EZ-Pass they will receive a bill in the mail(based on their registration address).
That wouldn't work for us. On extended camping excursions, we don't return home for 2 months and never get to see our mail until then. Never know where we will be or how long we will be in one area, so mail forwarding won't work for us either.

New electronic automation is not always progress. :R

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
wkswenson wrote:
The lanes at 11A are the same narrow lanes - BUT starting around Aug - Oct of this year there will be NO toll lanes as the Mass Turnpike changes to high-speed in lane tolling on the highway. Exits will just be exits with no toll booths. Those without EZ-Pass they will receive a bill in the mail(based on their registration address).

The widest lanes are always the outside and are now always EZ-Pass. Just order an EZ-Pass for use with your rig so you can use the wide lanes.
I was on the MassPike yesterday, and saw the gantries. WOW!!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
The lanes at 11A are the same narrow lanes - BUT starting around Aug - Oct of this year there will be NO toll lanes as the Mass Turnpike changes to high-speed in lane tolling on the highway. Exits will just be exits with no toll booths. Those without EZ-Pass they will receive a bill in the mail(based on their registration address).

The widest lanes are always the outside and are now always EZ-Pass. Just order an EZ-Pass for use with your rig so you can use the wide lanes.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I do. Follow the trucks. Never had a problem on the Mass Pike.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Truck lanes are the widest. Follow the trucks. All lanes are clearly marked as to pay or EZ pass.