cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If It Is The Least Consolation...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The gunman that carjacked the Canadian Rainbirds Jeep, is now way down in the basement shoveling coal for eternity.

I don't believe this "chisme" (gossip) to be idle rumor. There was a massive gunfight just outside of Caleta de Campos, Michoacan a few days ago and the rurales killed more than a dozen sicarios (gun men) at a huge roadblock. One of the -no longer with us- is strongly believed to be -the one- that robbed the Jeep. His name was "Carlos". I believe what my family tells me, not what some yellow journalism website or mass media conjures up.

The "Self Defense Forces" are going house-to-house, routing crooks, drug dealers and scumbags. From Cerro de Ortega to Lazaro Cardenas, hundreds of Templarios have been shot or arrested or fled into the mountains. Rumor has it over TEN THOUSAND gente are taking part in this flushing of the toilet.

Every last PJE, state cop has been fired. Weapons confiscated. Policias Preventivas del municipios (like sheriff deputies) have been forcibly removed from duty, weapons confiscated. Presidentes de municipios have been indicted by the federal attorney general. Same with ministerio publicos. The MP who did the paperwork on the rainbirds Jeep is history. He was an employee of the Templarios.

A massive effort of Marinas and Rurales have cleaned out Playa Azul, La Mira, Arteaga, and are now headed for Lazaro Cardenas.

Enough! Michoacan is one of the nicest, most beautiful states in la republica. I do not expect the governor and his lackeys to survive the most massive cleanup in recent Mexico history. When the public effort gets finished, the state will be cleaner and safer than any other. The rurales are NOT going to go away. They are going to keep working with los marinas and el ejercito until this state is safe for tourism once again.

WHY? You ask, am I so emotional about this? in the parking lot of Bodega Aurrera, with my two grand daughters, a gunfight took place in the street and edge of the parking lot. A bullet chipped concrete and has left a scar across my forehead. It's been this way for five years now. Dalia age 5 wet herself so bad and Pilar kept screaming te sangrear (you are bleeding!) My face and shirt front was soaked in blood. Cinco puntas (five stitches).

I realize some of you could care less. This is your right. But others may be interested in knowing what actually is taking place. Michoacan is a place of peace and beauty. The templarios are learning this the most hardest of ways.
81 REPLIES 81

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Truth is important but I think what I am reading is scaring the tourists away. Travel to states that are less problematic, simple.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I hate cut and paste articles but my fingers are aching with arthritis. You probably have read that I have historically STRONGLY discouraged camping or exploring in the northernmost part of Michoacan Coast. I refer to the area as the "X Villages". All the road signs announce the villages. Their names start with the letter "X". A unfortunate couple tried to start an RV park there and they were tossed out by the indigenous community. Life's dream, dashed.

The despised cut and paste method is used below to show someone's else's opinion as just how touchy the Nahua are. My point is this. This area has ALWAYS been sensitive. The indians pile out onto Mex 200 and close the road occasionally when gobernacion screws them yet again (join the crowd). You have heard of "Blockades" from years past. This article contains some truths. Enough to warrant reading. But CAUTION! Events that happen at or the X villages are NOT indicative of what is happening in the rest of Michoacan. There could easily be a battle there between the military and the indians. The indians are NOT RURALES. So remember. It's been this way since the road opened in the 1970's. They are cranky. I am hoping this stuff serves to educate RV'ers about visiting Michoacan and make them "manipulation resistant" against people and organizations that SELL HYSTERIA and alarm, and who wish to achieve a better rank around the water cooler.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By: Alejandra Guillรฉn
Aquila, Michoacรกnโ€” Facing the demobilization of the autodefensas in the state, the coastal community of Santa Marรญa Ostula, located in the municipality of Aquila, found that members of its community police wonโ€™t be registering as rural police.

โ€œWho we obey are the people, not the federal governmentโ€, they warned.

The commander of the community guard, Semeรญ Verdรญa, will present to the Secretariat of National Defense (SEDENA) the agreement from the meeting held on April 27 on Thursday in which they paid protest to the commanders and police of each of the 23 โ€œmanagementsโ€.

In total, 150 villagers total those who occupy this position voluntarily during the year.

The list includes the names of the people who make up the community security and the weapons that each will carry.

โ€œThe commissioner Alfredo Castillo agreed to respect our traditional forms of organization. He said that with indigenous peoples the process will be differentโ€, Semeรญ Verdรญa said during an interview.

Only he and a few others are going to register as rural police in order to be able to move around armed and to ensure that when they enter into a โ€œunified commandโ€, they themselves will be the ones who will be entering the community as a security authority.

What we donโ€™t want is for them to send people from outside.

Semeรญ, a 33 year old Nahua youth, escaped from his community in 2010, after someone tried to assassinate him in a soccer field located in the beach resort of Ticla.

Earlier this year, he observed the activity of the autodefensas and approached them for help. A month later, on February 7, Semeรญ and another โ€œexiledโ€ comrade led the advancement of the autodefensas who sprang out in Santa Marรญa Ostula.

Thereafter, the security strategy in the community has been different than the rest of the people who โ€˜rose up in armsโ€™ against organized crime since 2013.

Itโ€™s because while the autodefensas are recovering the control from the coastal region and the Templarios have been fleeing in boats-including Federico Gonzรกlez, El Lico, capo who controlled from Cerro de Ortega, in Colima, to El Faro, in Michoacรกn-, in car trunks or hiding in the Sierra Madre del Sur, the Nahua community took a break in order to revive their struggle and reconfigure their community police.

That is, the first group was the โ€œnecessary foundationโ€ laid in order to stop the violence raging in the region, so that the indigenous Nahua people could speak, defend, and rebel without retaliation, in contrast to the 31 villagers killed and five missing persons in previous years from 2009 to 2013.

The support of the autodefensas from the municipalities of Chinicuila, Coalcomรกn and Coahuayana, on the coast of Aquila, remained until Sunday the 27th, and on that same day the community guard of Ostula was left in charge.

Semeรญ and those involved with the autodefensas of other municipalities passed their weapons directly to the police team in charge of where they live.

โ€œThis is a historic momentโ€, repeated some of the 880 attendees at the meeting last Sunday. First, because it was a symbolic act of triumph over the criminal cartel of the Caballeros Templarios.

Second, because this community guard functions similarly to the one they previously had during the 1980โ€™s, which was disintegrated with the arrival of the municipal police.

Also, because although they had first attempted to reconfigure their community police and community guard for the recovery of 700 hectares of the coastal region now known as Xayakalan in June 2009, its members did not give in to protest against the meeting-โ€œthey gave weapons to all those who participated in the mobilizationโ€- Trinidad, another resident, recalls- and a year they were disarmed.

โ€œFrom now on we will look after each other. We take care of the residents and the residents take care of usโ€ฆand watch out! To those of you who try to disorganize us like in 2009. After all the sufferings weโ€™ve been through, we have to be very careful, we donโ€™t forgive anyone who has ties to organized crime. We need to look very wellโ€, Semeรญ concluded before the assembly, in which he also reported on the economic contributions of each person in charge of gasoline and food.

In this part of the state, the autodefensas have operated with three trucks in which they seized from organized crime, and only a few have been able to get weapons.

However, the community still fears that organized crime can return with โ€œmore couarageโ€, but meanwhile they will take advantage of this break in order to return to โ€œrise up in armsโ€.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing that is intelligent is to put a theft 5-minute shutdown system in the vehicle. Five minutes after it goes bye-bye, it plays possum.

You think the ratones are going to call a tow truck? Listen, if they set FIRE to the vehicle and BURN the thing to the ground, you are BETTER OFF. Way the hell and gone better off than if the vehicle disappears. Entiendes? There is no comparison. The ratio 1,000 times better-off is no exaggeration.

MEXICAN JOKE (Translated From Spanish)

"HELP! HELP! I'VE BEEN ROBBED!"

(Sshh! You'll bring the police)

We live with this. We have to deal with it. Our families and friends have to deal with it. There is a saying "MEXICAN LISTO!" It means to outsmart crooks.

Putting in a time-delay shutdown security system is absolute. Think of it as being MEXICAN LISTO.

The crooks? They are going to try and start the car, and when it won't they are going to run like scared rabbits. Wait in ambuqueda? Ambush? Stop reading fairy tales. They are going to run away, FAST! When crooked cops encounter crooked ladrones, THEY DEMAND MOST OF THE LOOT! I am not talking about sicarios de carteles. Sicarios do not carjack with a Francisco Villa size group of compadres hiding in the bushes. They are free-lancing. If cops catch a couple of free-lancers, the cops will steal the car, and put the free-lancers in prison. Life on the Serengeti. You STILL think the carjackers are going to hide out near the car and hope for the best?

The SSP and PFP are less dishonest than Preventivas and Transitos. But they are afraid, so they travel in caravans. Just like the ejercito and marinas. When the pendejos are driven out by the rurales, the SSP and PFP resume single patrols and cover a lot more territory. The difference is incredible.

The rurales are not going to just "go away". They are an embarrassment to the federal Mexican government. EPN and Osario Chong are now the laughingstock of Mexico.

The days of "Dodge City" in Michoacan, are OVER! Porfirio Diaz found out the hard way that la gente are very reluctant to take arms and go it alone. But when it happens it is dramatic. The LCT brutalized too many people. You can bet your bottom peso that other carteleros are afraid. If the rurales movement spreads to Tamaulipas, Cueravaca, and Sinaloa, it will punch gobernacion federal right in the face. You believe the cartels do not fear an uprising by los rurales. Think again.

This is Mexican drama. Please learn from it.

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
you guys are too smart........
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicowanderer is so right on. In a major city you might get some cooperation from the police. In the backwoods you are wasting your time. If it is an area with cartel activity NO municipal cop is going to look for your vehicle. For what they are paid he is not going to risk his life for a gringo's auto.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
SATELLITE TRACKING IS USELESS IN MEXICO

The scenario fiction but all so true. ALWAYS true.

"Hello customer we found your vehicle, here are the coordinates"

-102.34983, 17.98036

You find it is Playa Azul, Michoacan.

RING RING Police, police my car is at -102.34983, 17.98036

Oye gringo this is sargento Rodriguez. Are you borracho? What does it mean this -102.34983, 17.98036 ???

You dig out a map. PLAYA AZUL!

Ring Ring. My car is in Playa Azul.

Click

Ring Ring. Damn You! It is a 2016 Candy Apply chrome laden V-12 six door pickup with optional machine gun ports.

Where exactly did you say this peekup is?

OK Seรฑor, nothing to worry about. We go and check now. CLICK

"Hijo de La Gran Puta campaรฑeros! We have won the lottery. Do you think that those ratero cabrones have cuernos (AK-47's)? If no we go kill them and that PREMIO is ours! All ours!"

"Ring Ring" Hello, seรฑor Rodriguez did you find my pickup truck?"

"Sorry! He is en vaccaciones ahora. But, no there is no word of any pickup"

I hope you understand. This is Mexicano black humor. It is reality.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - here's what I found.....

http://www.globalsatellitecommunications.com/products/spot/spot-trace . .
Product Code: SPOT-TRACE
Availability: In Stock
Price: $99.95

Monitor valuable assets for theft alerting, peace of mind and tracking; receive a text/email message when new movement is detected.
Keep track of the whereabouts of your car, boat, RV or newly-licensed 16 year-old!
Motion activated and Waterproof!

Service as low as $99.99 /year!

Movement Alert: Track your assets' locations and follow it online. Receive a text/email when new movement is detected
Online/App Tracking View: View the asset's location and tracking points
Frequent Updates: Choose 2 1/2 , 5, 10, 30 or 60 minute updates
Long Battery Life and Plug-in Power Option
Rugged and Waterproof: Built to withstand rugged outdoor conditions
Satellite Communications Network: Works virtually anywhere, beyond the range of cell phones
Compact Size: Lets you easily mount or hide
Add extreme tracking and track every 2.5 minutes for and additional 99.99 a year.
Height: 2.02โ€ (8.72cm)
Width: 2.69โ€ (6.5cm)
Thickness: 0.96โ€ (2.54cm)
Weight: 3.1oz (88grams) with Lithium batteries
Operating Temperature: -30C to 60C/-22F to 140F
Operating Altitude: -100m to +6,500m/-328ft to +21,320ft
Humidity Rated: MIL-STD-810F/Method 507.3/95% to 100% cond.
Vibration Rated: Per SAE J1455
Battery Type: 4 AAA Energizerโ„ข Lithium Ultimate 8X or 4 AAA Energizerโ„ข NiMH Rechargeable
Battery Life: >4 months in clear sky when moving 1hr/day with 5 minute Track Mode using lithium batteries

Line Power: Available through micro USB port (optional waterproof USB cable sold separately)

Mounting Options: Reversible mounting bracket, adhesive magnet mount, adhesive grip pad or adhesive velcro strips

Call & Talk to a Live Representative 24/7: (877) 636-8282
2709 Compton Dr SW, Decatur, AL 35603

snarley
Explorer
Explorer
There is a company called SPOT who make a tracking device that does work anywhere. It is a satellite GPS device used to track people in extreme sports- long distance running in the mountains etc.Yearly subscription gives a tracking signal every 10 min and I have used the email feature to follow my daughters races from 3,000 miles away over the internet. Hope this helps.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
A gps tracker and anti hijack device is looking cheaper all the time

I have been looking online and cannot find a GPS tracker that works without some kind of telephone access. I keep reading what I find and don't see a way to find a stolen vehicle if it is not where it can get the signal from those you have to pay to track it. Has anyone found one that works anywhere? Can anyone tell us more about them? I am not finding them to be a solution for those who travel extensively. Most seem to be tracked by some sort of local system. They can connect like a cell phone but if there is no cell signal it does not seem as though they would work. If you travel North America as we do you would have to find cell networks wherever you go that would work with the tracker. But I could be completely wrong. Can someone explain?

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Great to hear that the people of Mexico are finally saying "I'm mad as heck and I am not going to take it any more". And I hope the Rainbird's attackers were among the recent casualties. At this point it might not be good for the Rainbirds to see that Jeep again.

LEGALIZATION IS NOT THE CURE ALL

Legalization has never been said to be the "cure all". There is no "cure all" for human nature. We had prohibition and we had gun fights so they legalized alcohol and it is still very much a very serious problem. But at least now there is some control and it is taxed. People will always have vices and they always have and there has never been a way to stop them. Legalization will not stop the use of drugs - but nothing else will either - anymore than prohibition did with alcohol. Prohibition brought carloads of crooks shooting Tommy guns out their car windows as they raced down our streets. Legalization of alcohol reduced the slaughter in the streets. Legalization of drugs may not reduce crime or the use of drugs but if legalization of alcohol can be any measure we could see a lower death toll and instead of pouring tax dollars into a war that will never be won (and prisons full of criminals) we may see an increase in tax revenue coming in. This war has been going on for 50 years or more and nothing much has changed. There is no "cure all" and there never will be. But just maybe it is time to try another approach?

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Thanks to MW for his info. Interesting reading, hope that Michoacan can sort its self out. It is in our opinion the most beautiful coastline anywhere. It will take a lot of investment in honest effort, cash and training. As long as there is poverty, and lack of effective policing robbery and violence will occur.

But I have to agree with Tequila, at least on the face of it. There may be other problems arising from legalising drugs but I don't see how they can be much worse than the current situation.

Re the Jeep: Qualitas told us in an email last week that they hoped to get a copy of the Jeep import permit (from who we don't know) by Fiday and then they hope to be able to send our cheque this week. Would be nice!

A local Jeep dealer told us that a new 4 door Jeep Rubicon worth $45,000.00. here would be $72,000.00 in Mexico. Our replacement won't be worth anything close to that!

A gps tracker and anti hijack device is looking cheaper all the time. I am installing both in my truck. Just trying to find out from the company about increasing the time before the engine dies from 3 min to 10. I prefer they be a bit further away. If I can see on line where it is, 10 min is fine. With 3, I only have 6 min to make myself scarce if they figure its an anti hijack device and decide to come back. Mind you when they take it I will mention it is having problems. My wife always carries a spare key in her underwear.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
RichieC wrote:
Do you think that there are any similarities between the prohibition era and the current battle caused by marijuana fueled money.

Sure looks like it.

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
Hope the cleanup is state-wide and includes the areas around Morelia too. SIL's family is there and we sweat bullets whenever he goes down, especially if he takes one of the grandkids. His dad/uncles used to own a small trucking company but they got hijacked too many times and sold the business. Sad state of affairs because, as others mentioned, it's a beautiful place and everyone we met (in 2001) was very friendly.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I read a writeup about the CO situation just the other day. The black market for weed remains strong because it is untaxed and therefore 1/3 the price of the legal stuff. Therefore, black market supply (including that from Mexico) will remain strong even when the stuff has been legalized.

Here's the story: Unintended Consequences

I hope that the movement in Michoacan spreads to other regions of the country. I for one would love to spend some time in Mexico in the future, and driving out corrupt and evil people certainly will make me feel better about it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you think that there are any similarities between the prohibition era and the current battle caused by marijuana fueled money.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats