cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate 80 through Pennsylvania

Campin_LI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. We are planning to pull our Jayco 32bhds with our Ford Excursion with V10 engine on I80 near George Washington Bridge in New Jersey through Pennsylvania and into Ohio. I've traveled on I80 in New Jersey and a bit of Pennsylvania going into New York and it seemed fine to pull a trailer but I have heard the western side of Pennsylvania has some big hills. Is this true? Should I be concerned with any parts along the route? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Towed across I-80 many times. including trips with a 20,000lb GCW V10 Class C towing a race car trailer. A few moderate grades; heading west the first one from about 15 miles into PA from Scotrun to 380, about 5 miles. Then a lot of rolling ones for 180 miles with the next pull being west of Clearfield, where the interstate does get to that mentioned 2200' elevation at the PA153 exit before DuBois. Things get flatter after that in the western part of the state.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
I 80 is your only choice unless you go way out of your way.

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
Jakm wrote:
I grew up, worked and retired in western Pa. Just off exit 53 on I-80. Itโ€™s for the most part very easy drive across the state, a couple of long gradual climbs with the highest elevation of 22,000, nothing to be concerned about. Be advised that most of northeast Ohio is a syndicated speed trap with the governing municipalities using speed camera ticketing targeting out of state drivers to rake in millions of dollars in revenue on a monthly basis. If you have a choice just avoid that region.

Elevation of 22,000 what? Certainly not feet.

2200 is what he meant would be my best guess.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Jakm wrote:
I grew up, worked and retired in western Pa. Just off exit 53 on I-80. Itโ€™s for the most part very easy drive across the state, a couple of long gradual climbs with the highest elevation of 22,000, nothing to be concerned about. Be advised that most of northeast Ohio is a syndicated speed trap with the governing municipalities using speed camera ticketing targeting out of state drivers to rake in millions of dollars in revenue on a monthly basis. If you have a choice just avoid that region.

Elevation of 22,000 what? Certainly not feet.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Campin_LI
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for this information! It's very helpful.

Jakm
Explorer
Explorer

As long as everything is in good working order, you will be fine. The hills are NOT that bad, more of the rolling type..

LOTS of trucks, they run I80 so they do not have tp pay the LARGE payments on the PA Turnpike. It is $266.00 for a big rig ( class 7, 5 axle up to 80,000# ) to enter from NJ and Exit at Ohio on the Turn Pike..PA Turnpike calculator
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet