cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping a Journal

Margos_
Explorer
Explorer
Rather new to RVing, only 2 years but was wondering how people journal each trip. I'm not talking about blogs but personal logs on milages, site info or whatever info you might want to remember. What layout do you use.
34 REPLIES 34

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
It is interesting how varied our different experiences are. I have designed a very simple checklist/log. It fills a letter sized page. On one side I have the checklist for "take off" from each campsite. On the other side there is a corresponding number for that campsite where I enter the location, site number, any comments about that site and campground. I keep the original, but enter a summary into an Excel spreadsheet where I keep up with the total mileage on the RV. I have used this same system for four different fifth-wheels which we have owned and used over almost 20 years.

I do not keep the mileage records as we travel, but work up the mileage based on the actual route we have taken as I enter into the spreadsheet. Not a conscious decision, just the routine I've fallen into.

I have also begun to keep copies of an annual calendar on which I have brief notations. I wish I had begun this sooner. I produce the calendars with Microsoft Publisher.

BTW, in writing this post I checked my Excel logs. On our present HitchHiker we have 59,421 miles. I won't go into the others, but I did come up with a total of 146,359 miles.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
This appears to fit what you are looking for and what we used for years before going full time.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/campers-daily-log-binder/2152

Hope this helps.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We write it on a calendar and then transfer to our waypoints, poi's, in the comments section for the GPS. Mileage and gas use go into a spread sheet.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We're old school. Allison keeps a "diary" or "journal" of our travels in our PUP. She doesn't write anything for any other days of our lives, just camping. No mileages, no gas or expenses, just a recap of the highlights of our day.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a basic excel spreadsheet to track preferred campsites, fees, etc. I use one worksheet to identify all the campgrounds I like (or want to try), and then a second worksheet to list my trips for the year (dates, when reservations were made, cost of reservations, etc.). This stays on my laptop as it's only used beforehand.

For mileage, I keep a small notebook in my visor. On one page, I list the miles driven per tank, on the second page, I list the amount of fuel filled per tank.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)