cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kino Bay or Guaymas/San Carlos

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
If you had to choose one for a 2-3 week winter trip which city would it be? And why? Thanks Chino
25 REPLIES 25

maggybeck
Explorer
Explorer
We have a timeshare in San Carlos and used it for many years. We now spend our winters in Kino Bay. Given 2-3 weeks, I would follow the above post recommendations and split the time between both. If this is a hotel/car trip you won't need to worry about RV parks. The hotel in Guaymas is gorgeous and I would gladly stay there.

maggybeck
Explorer
Explorer
Hassle Free zone still exists, but you will need a visitors permit. As for the back road, it sure is bumpy, but interesting (watch out for animals etc on the road). But going into Hermo will take no longer as you can take the bypass around Hermo to SB 15.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
From another post.....

El Mirador closed

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
what is the laundry like at the Guyamas one? One thing I like about totanaka is all those machines.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is! But I believe you have to get a visa if you plan to stay longer than 3 days.

I agree with staying in both places and have stayed at both locations. Then next year you will know where you want to stay for a MONTH, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
One more question. Does the "Sonoran Free Zone" still exist? No vehicle permits or tourist cards needed? Thanks Chino

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Lots of Stuff:

Does the Hotel Playa de Cortes have monthly rates? I'm seeing nearly $70 US a night off their web site...that's the same price as a 4-star hotel (non boutique) in downtown Montreal, with our points (!)

Yes the rates are high for Mexico.
Don't know about monthly prices.
RV rates were about $20-$25 per night as I remember. Worth it in my view.
However we have not stayed in a room only an RV spot.
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
It about the same price as Totonaka, but no Wi fi, you have to go to the hotel lobby.

Check this blog out.http://kathyericstravels.blogspot.ca/2011/03/los-mochis-to-hotel-playa-de-cortez-in.html I have never stayed there but it looks like lots of spots.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of Stuff:

Does the Hotel Playa de Cortes have monthly rates? I'm seeing nearly $70 US a night off their web site...that's the same price as a 4-star hotel (non boutique) in downtown Montreal, with our points (!)
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Never, Never take the back road if you value your rig.

Moisheh

Moisheh gave us this advice before we left Kino headed south. It's not that we didn't take his advice but rather made a wrong turn and said "what the hey, how bad can it be"? Seriously, I didn't need those fillings anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
We personally prefer the RV Park at the Hotel El Cortez in Miramar (almost in Guaymas)
over either Kino Bay or San Carlos.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Totonaka are small sites? There are acyally 2, the Hotel next door also has a campground.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Never, Never take the back road if you value your rig.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Rather be in either one than kalamazoo!