cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kiss And Made Up. How About The prohibited Items?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Included a lot of vegetables and produce. Now that the tiff has gone away has anyone read about apples, potatoes, and other items being released from tariffs? Apples soared to three dollars a pound and potatoes flat ran out. Costco is selling thirteen dollar a pound Canadian beef that almost equals my 150 peso carne de res, regional $3.73/lb TENDER lower fat New York Steak beef.
22 REPLIES 22

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Aduana told me today "Everything is exactly the same today as it was in May". They didn't confiscate all my bagged frozen fruit. Happy camper. Here next to the border nectarines are the size of plums and cost like avocados. Pithy. Plums, ciruelas are nasty as well. And mangos are costly so I bought sliced mangos sealed in a bag for less than what whole ones cost with that giant pit.

Be careful crossing with beef. Aduana already knows about that Alabama (?) steer found last week with Vaca Loca. Mad Cow disease. They asked if I had beef or eggs and I told them no way, Mexican stuff is superior.

Fourteen hours on the road kicked my butt. I'm a Spring Chicken, but not this spring's chicken

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Oh well I will find out the hard way tomorrow what produce is still prohibited.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh, I do hold stock in one auto manufacturer, Toyota. Toyota stock rode out the earthquakes and tidal waves, and I did too with that stock. We have a few Toyota plants in the US; very easy for them to pack their bags, leave, and relocate, say, to Mexico. That's what this administration does not understand. Just hang on tight, you'll see a lot of positive changes occur between Nov. 2018 and Jan. 2020 because right now 62 percent of the US population believes that. Winston Churchill once said, "When those Americans get it wrong, they do it over and over again until they get it right."

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
So after Trump insulted the Canadians the whole deal is on hold. The Canadians walked out and Trump says he does not care and will put tariffs on all Canadian vehicles. It is my understanding that the rate is 25%. If Canada does not return to the table what will happen? What will Mexico do? Stay tune for more drama.

2edgesword: Actually it would be worse than what I stated. NAFTA provides a competitive market for many industries other than autos. I would not want to hold stocks in auto mfrs. should the deal be scrapped.

Moisheh

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword, when you speak of "adjustments," do you mean the way Harley-Davidson motorcycles have (or preparing to) done in response to the tariffs on aluminum/steel coming into the US? They have moved part of their manufacturing capability to Europe, which was a big surprise to the White House. If you think about it, it was a good chess play as Harley-Davidson also has a large consumer following in Europe, but only at the right price.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/is-there-even-such-a-thing-as-a-made-in-america-vehicle-an...

Before I found the above link I was thinking about NAFTA. I remember when that deal was done. It took years and in each country many thought it would be the end of their respective country's economy. But 3 Amigos prevailed and it has become the best trade agreement in the world. For automobiles there really is no border. It is seamless. Parts and cars move across the border with ease. In many cases the parts on a car may have been in each of the 3 countries more than once. Car mfrs. became more competitive and more efficient. Of course in each country there are those who hate the deal. Without being political these people are not knowledgeable and just spout nonsense. In Canada we call this beer parlor philosophy. These same people will tell you that there is an invention that will make your car get 200 MPG but the oil companies own the rights!! Naturally each country has suffered some negative impacts. Canada lost a lot of car assembly plants to Mexico. But we still have a lot of parts MFG. One of the largest parts mfrs. is Magna. A Canadian mfr. with plants not only in all 3 countries but all over the world.

"To support North American jobs, the deal requires new trade rules of origin to drive higher wages by requiring that 40-45 percent of auto content be made by workers earning at least $16 USD per hour"

Seantics, semantics. I would love to know how this will be enforced. How will they determine the origin of the parts? Here is one example. The Dodge 3/4 ton and above trucks with a Cummins are built in Mexico ( or at least they were a few years ago). The Cummins engine probably has castings from Brazil. Chrysler is owned by the New Fiat company so some other components may be from Italy. If the bodies are stamped in Detroit but made with steel from somewhere else are those parts considered USA? AS Rocmoc pointed out NAFTA was far more than an agreement on automobiles. If the whole thing was scrapped ( as Trump has stated) the North American Auto Industry would grind to a halt. Regardless this is going to be interesting.

Moisheh

I think your statement that if NAFTA ended the U.S. auto industry would grind to a halt is hyperbole. The industry would continue to function and produce cars. The accountants and management would figure how cost would impact pricing and make the necessary adjustments.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/is-there-even-such-a-thing-as-a-made-in-america-vehicle-an...

Before I found the above link I was thinking about NAFTA. I remember when that deal was done. It took years and in each country many thought it would be the end of their respective country's economy. But 3 Amigos prevailed and it has become the best trade agreement in the world. For automobiles there really is no border. It is seamless. Parts and cars move across the border with ease. In many cases the parts on a car may have been in each of the 3 countries more than once. Car mfrs. became more competitive and more efficient. Of course in each country there are those who hate the deal. Without being political these people are not knowledgeable and just spout nonsense. In Canada we call this beer parlor philosophy. These same people will tell you that there is an invention that will make your car get 200 MPG but the oil companies own the rights!! Naturally each country has suffered some negative impacts. Canada lost a lot of car assembly plants to Mexico. But we still have a lot of parts MFG. One of the largest parts mfrs. is Magna. A Canadian mfr. with plants not only in all 3 countries but all over the world.

"To support North American jobs, the deal requires new trade rules of origin to drive higher wages by requiring that 40-45 percent of auto content be made by workers earning at least $16 USD per hour"

Seantics, semantics. I would love to know how this will be enforced. How will they determine the origin of the parts? Here is one example. The Dodge 3/4 ton and above trucks with a Cummins are built in Mexico ( or at least they were a few years ago). The Cummins engine probably has castings from Brazil. Chrysler is owned by the New Fiat company so some other components may be from Italy. If the bodies are stamped in Detroit but made with steel from somewhere else are those parts considered USA? AS Rocmoc pointed out NAFTA was far more than an agreement on automobiles. If the whole thing was scrapped ( as Trump has stated) the North American Auto Industry would grind to a halt. Regardless this is going to be interesting.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rocmoc. I think that much of the public statements from all sides are either false or plain old lies. NAFTA itself is very complex and it never could just be thrown away. Ifeel for the Mexican workers who will get nada. The Canadian papers are also full of much nonsense. It could be 6 months before the public gets the truth. In the meantime the stock market,loonie and pesowill just go up and down.

Moisheh

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Reading the releases from the USA Office of Trade, most of the changes are directed at new Tech that did not exist when the original Treaty was written. Not much change in the original principals. https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/press-releases/2018/august/modernizing-nafta-b...

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding of the $16/hr is 40-45% of the car has to be produced at that wage or higher. This includes the USA produced percentage. IMHO it does not mean Mexico jobs at $16 but a percentage of the car. This is the wordsmithing from The USA Office of Trade, "This deal uses trade rules to drive higher wages by requiring that 40-45 percent of auto content be made by workers earning at least $16 per hour." Notice the statement only says "workers" not Mexican Workers. I have also attached the doc from USA office. https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/press-releases/2018/august/rebalancing-nafta-s...

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh, based on your statement regarding an agreement made for these workers to be paid $16 an hour, do you then think that the new proposed NAFTA agreement is a sham? As said before here, the agreement has not been signed yet between Mexico and US. The prices of goods for sale to consumers in a particular region are relative to the amount of money available in the aggregate in that region to purchase those goods. If $16 per hour is the new payroll rate, inflation on goods for sale will take off like a rocket.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Newly Prohibited Food?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The following is from Mexico Daily News.

"Only 269,000 Mexicans earn more than US $16 per hour, or 308 pesos" If you subscribe to that service read the whole article. I doubt the wages will ever reach that $16.00 amount.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am now at the medical hideout some 1,700 miles from home. Seventy pesos a Kg here and they are either rock hard green plumb size or mushy.

What a difference location makes. Prices are much higher here for fruit and veggies. In La Mira piñas sell 2 giant fruits for 20 pesos. Here it is 40P for a single midget.

The Oboe is an interesting aguacate. Zihua has enough regional orchards (like around La Union and Petlatlan that you don't need Uruapan fruit. Also true for oranges and toronjas. Our area is mangos, pineapples, or bananas. or wild tropical savanna. The pineapples comes from huge fields near Playa Azul.

One thing that is not plentiful at home is papas russets. Up here the "Big Thing" is stuffed baked potatoes. Remove the insides, mix with Buttermilk ranch dressing, and bacon bits then restuff. Thanks, I'll pass.