cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atlanta to Portland Oregon

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been to the west coast and have relatives near Portland.

What route would you take the motorhome in mid-October or November?

Thanks for your help.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
5 REPLIES 5

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Sealevel - that's the route I took. Keep an eye on the weather but chances are you won't have any issues.
Kevin

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

I would suggest watching the weather.
First choice angle up to St. Louis and then west on I-70 to Denver area. Then north on I-25 to I-80 and I-84 into Portland.

We have relatives in Salt Lake City, and also in Portland area. Have made the trip several times in all four seasons.
Only change I would make from the good route suggested above is to go north at Kansas City to get on I-80 and avoid the Denver to Cheyenne leg on I-25. Seems always to be congested.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing that you are in MH from previous posts pulling a CRV.
I would suggest watching the weather.
First choice angle up to St. Louis and then west on I-70 to Denver area. Then north on I-25 to I-80 and I-84 into Portland.
Bad weather in plains come across I-40 then up I-5.

As indicated in earlier post, you must carry chains in some of the western states including chains for your farthest back axle on toad. I would and have never had to put them on. Bad weather means holding up for a couple days.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd say you should not take the straight line route thru Colorado during that time of year, but stick to the south to Cali, but once you get to even Norther CA and OR and WA on I-5, there are a lot of mountain passes that "can", at that time of the year can have a lot of snow and be pretty dang cold... Some passes will REQUIRE you to have chains for your rig to even go over a pass..

No way to predict Mother Nature of course, so plan accordingly and check the weather reports daily..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
That time of year you should expect rain and snow. November in Portland will likely be rain 95% of the time. Unless you come from the south snow is a definite possability in the passes. Which you will need to cross to get to the valley.
Personally I would head west and keep as far south as possible till you hit I5. If your coming this way understand Oregon could require chains across the passes. Expect highs in the 40s and,low in the 40s.

Actually, you would be far better off flying in, renting a car and stay in a hotel.