cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Louise - Bus or shuttles?

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
As part of a longer trip, we plan to take a week or so in the Canadian Rockies this summer. We've been there before but not in the RV. This time we'll be in our 30 foot class C, without a toad.

While I don't mind driving the RV around, the last time I was there, parking at the popular spots was hard to find for a car, much less an RV.

The bus works well around Banff. Is there anything similar (bus, shuttle etc.) around the Lake Louise area?

My main interest is something that would go between the Lake Louise Trailer Campground and Lake Louise ( both the town and the lake itself) and Moraine Lake.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We travel in a 26ft Motorhome with no toad:

When we were at Lake Louise the Ranger suggested getting to the Moraine Lake parking lot early. We arrived at the parking lot at about 7:00am in our 26ft motorhome and had no problem parking. Later in the morning they were limiting vehicle traffic (one comes out before one can go in) and parking was a real challenge.

We also arrived early in the Lake Louise Parking lot and had no problem finding a parking spot.

At Banff we purchased bus day passes which worked very well for us.

Did not have any problem with parking at the Icefields or at Jasper.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Morraine Lake is busiest in the fall as it is one of the best places to go see the Larch trees when they change color. Parks Canada restricts the traffic flow during some of the busiest weekends.

The summer is busy there too, but you should be ok as long as you go early.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not had an issue with RV parking areas at Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, or Peyto Lake as I have visited Lake Louise and Peyto Lake on two different yearly occasions....although the parking lots ranged from moderate to practically full.

However the times I visited Banff National Park area was during the month of September in 2011, 2012 and 2013 as I can easily visualize all those RV parking areas packed during June thru August peak tourist season.

I was also enroute there for 2014 however my camper rig and my new health issues were not fully co-operating at the same time the farther east I headed and decided to abort my vacation short and turn around at the Cassiar Highway Junction with enough warning signs which turned out it was a good thing I did so.

It was nice to see everyone in the Yukon along the way while spending 10 days in Canada.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Mountaineer42 wrote:
Are you sure you are thinking of the right lake? Moraine Lake has limited parking, especially in the peak summer months. That's why they run shuttle buses and restrict vehicle traffic during peak times. Also, from the parking lot, it is a short >100 yd walk, mostly flat, to the actual lake.
He may be thinking of Peyto Lake on the Icefields Parkway (the really bright turquoise one in the valley below the overlook). It is a LONG climb up the trail from the small parking lot to the overlook. And there is very limited RV parking (ask me how I know). The tour buses just head to the top and their passengers have a level walk to the overlook, but no such luck for RVers.

The big RV/bus lot at the Chateau Lake Louise was nearly empty when we were there in 2013. But then my wife likes "golden-hour" photography, so we got there about 6:30 am! That day was bright sunshine and blue skies, so every view and photo was gorgeous.

However, even with the summer sun out, it isn't all that warm that time of the morning. A photographer was there with a young woman in a strapless wedding gown and her wedding party in tuxes trying to get photos of them along the lakeshore before the crowd arrived. But they kept having to stop and put a coat on her!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi John,

Moraine Lake also has good parking. Be aware that there is a long walk up the mountain to get to the actual lake.

Are you sure you are thinking of the right lake? Moraine Lake has limited parking, especially in the peak summer months. That's why they run shuttle buses and restrict vehicle traffic during peak times. Also, from the parking lot, it is a short >100 yd walk, mostly flat, to the actual lake.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It sounds like I should be ok just driving our RV to the different sites.

Maybe I was just there at a particularly busy time a few years back. Then parking was packed everywhere and RVs were circling endlessly looking for spots at both Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. But, from what I am hearing that may be the exception rather than the rule?

I think to put things more in our favor, we'll also try to get to each spot early in the morning to beat the "10-4" crowds too.

Thanks!

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Banff not so much.

There's actually quite a bit of RV parking in Banff. Just head to the info centre in the old train station. You can park in the lot there and they will also give you a map showing where RV parking is allowed.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi John,

There is plenty of room for parking at the top. The road is able to accommodate tour bus size vehicles as is the parking lot.

Moraine Lake also has good parking. Be aware that there is a long walk up the mountain to get to the actual lake.

Radium Hotsprings pool has good parking too. Banff not so much.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The RV parking lot is HUGE at Lake Louise. When were you there? I visited in August 2013 and May 2014, the overflow / RV lot had room both times. It's not right beside the Lake like the main lot, but it's not too much of a hike.

I recall some sort of shuttle picking people up at that shopping plaza at the bottom of the hill... not my scene though, so I did not investigate further
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed