cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Las Vegas NV to Austin TX, Best Route ?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MapQuest shows going all the way down to Yuma Arizona and than over to Austin TX, but the route down to Phoenix is a 2 lane road called 93, that's a slow road if you get behind a slow moving truck.

So I was wondering instead of going thru Flagstaff and into Albuquerque and taking what route after that.

What would be the best route..

:C
16 REPLIES 16

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my recent travel to Austin from Vegas, I drove the I-40 route to 285 in NM and down to Roswell NM and than into Austin, I also drove the I-10 back to Phoenix and than the 93 to Kingman than back to Vegas.

I will have to say the I-40 was a better drive, more sites to see and a smooth highway once past Flagstaff, even the 285 was a good road, I found the I-10 boring, got a rock on my windshield in Tucson and a rude driver in Phoenix almost drove me off the road.

Hope this helps with anyone traveling in this area.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I used 84 south out of Santa Rosa on Labor Day. It was very bumpy and a train of traffic. Some of the roads are damaged from the flooding occurring as I type. Highway 285 out of Carlsbad is currently closed. The Pecos river is at record high levels. FYI
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
I40...ST Hwy 287(tx)...I35 south...Austin. 1...2...3 it's that easy.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
MCDDY wrote:
timmac
I would say your thoughts about going across north AZ & NM are right on unless road conditions are terrible on 40 or it will be in the winter. We haven't been across there in yrs. From Santa Rosa MM your options open up, on E. to Amarillo or S. to Clovis and Lubbock, San Angelo and on thru the Hill Country to 290 or lots of other options. In Texas even the Tx roads are better than US hwys in most states.

Dave

Thanks that's the route I am looking at, going south from Santa Rosa NM, looks like a good road with good views, will also bring that same road up but will go thru Roswell NM and check out the aliens.

:E
Bumpy, Bumpy, Bumpy, bump. Remember only house movers go on Interstate.
So big a world, so little time to see.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MCDDY wrote:
timmac
I would say your thoughts about going across north AZ & NM are right on unless road conditions are terrible on 40 or it will be in the winter. We haven't been across there in yrs. From Santa Rosa MM your options open up, on E. to Amarillo or S. to Clovis and Lubbock, San Angelo and on thru the Hill Country to 290 or lots of other options. In Texas even the Tx roads are better than US hwys in most states.

Dave

Thanks that's the route I am looking at, going south from Santa Rosa NM, looks like a good road with good views, will also bring that same road up but will go thru Roswell NM and check out the aliens.

:E

MCDDY
Explorer
Explorer
timmac

Dave
GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
I have been on 93 with its new upgrades but only to Laughlin turn off, is it completed all the way to Phoenix.

93 south of I-40 to Wickenburg is mostly 4 lane now. There are parts that are still 2 lane but have long passing lanes every 10 miles or less. South of Wickenburg we take 74 east to I-17 south to Phoenix. 74 is 2 lane but usually fast. Avoid Phoenix during typical rush hours and freeways are fine.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
From Albuquerque, I25 south to I10 East at Las Cruces, and take US 290 East south of Junction TX. I believe this is what you asked for. Watch out those speed limits in West Texas are 80 mph on I10.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

I have been on 93 with its new upgrades but only to Laughlin turn off, is it completed all the way to Phoenix.

Also would not I-40 be just as fast than go south after Albuquerque.

US93 does not go near Laughlin, You are probably thinking of US95 in Nevada/California.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
timmac wrote:

93 is a killer road.

If you haven't been down 93 for several years, they have made quite a bit of it divided highway and much safer. Yes, there are still some lengthy stretches of 2 lane, but there are passing lanes every few miles.

Personally, we drive 93 twice a year, and haven't had any problems. It's the fastest route from LV to Austin. It's also quite scenic in some places.

By all means, avoid going all the way to Yuma. I can't understand why it would route you all the way down there.

Also would not I-40 be just as fast than go south after Albuquerque.

craftmanz
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged is Right, Do Not Buy fuel in Needles !!!!!!!!
We are in Kingman, but had to stop for fuel in Needles and a station there right off !-40 tried to con our friends into a $500 repair fix, the owned came running out when he polled in and said there was a very loud noise coming from his RV but he could fix it there (was nothing wrong). According to the people here that is a everyday occurance. Gas is $100. higher too

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
...What would be the best route..

US 93 is probably the most direct route but it will take you through the Phoenix traffic. US93 from Vegas to Kingman then to AZ95 through Lake Havasu and Parker then AZ72 to Vicksburg and I-10. I-10 to AZ85 to I-8 and back to I-10, will bypass the cities.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
we use 93 regularly and have had no problems. Traffic eases greatly north of Wickenburg.
But going to Albuquerque is good, too. you can take 285 south (catch it east of Albuquerque) to Ft. Stockton on I 10 to 290 and east to Austin.

I-40 bump, bump, bump then more bumps and when it get better, more bumps up ahead. But it is 4 lanes.
So big a world, so little time to see.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we use 93 regularly and have had no problems. Traffic eases greatly north of Wickenburg.
But going to Albuquerque is good, too. you can take 285 south (catch it east of Albuquerque) to Ft. Stockton on I 10 to 290 and east to Austin.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.