cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenoir, N.C. to Bristol, Tn.

gokart2
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be in Lenoir, N.C. and were thinking of going from there to Bristol, Tn. Map roads (321 and 421) north of Lenoir look as though it may be problematic! Not sure want to embark on journey with 37" + towed on roads that may be steep, narrow, etc. Any knowledgeable info of this area/route would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't exactly say 'no problems with mountains' on the 1-40/I-26/I-81 route. On I-40 west, you'll have 4 very curvy miles up at 6% just past Old Fort (up the eastern Continental Divide). Then on I-26, you've got a straight 6% climb of about 4 miles to the NC/TN line (beware of the curving dip partway up), followed by 3-4 miles of very curvy 6% downgrade entering TN. I think there are 3 runaway truck ramps on that stretch.

To get onto 'Future I-26W' as you go thru Asheville on I-40W, take I-240W from the east side of town.

Jim, "Many people stop looking for work when they find a job."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
421 is a No Go, many switchbacks over mountains, did it one time, never again.
321 is doable but very slow around Watauga Lake, and around construction at Blowing Rock.
Can head west toward Marion, 221 from around Marion to Linville, then 194 to 19E to TN, then I81 is best if don't like interstates.
If interstates okay, then go south from Lenoir to I40 to Asheville, then I26 to I81, farther route, but quickest also, and no problem with mountains.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

macsplinter
Explorer
Explorer
Those roads are not suitable for a rv

yloshrk
Explorer
Explorer

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have not made that particular route, but from what little I know or the roads in that area, I wouldn't do it. With my 30' and driving the toad instead of towing, we could probably make it, but slowly.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.