cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logan to Bear Lake UT in spring

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a possibility of camping a night or two near Bear Lake (Garden City UT or nearby in a SP) before mid-May, but as fairly new ID residents have not yet driven the route (US 89). Mountain Directory West lists part of this route as somewhat "rough." We'd be heading from Logan to Bear Lake, pulling our 26' TT. If weather's good, should we have any concerns? (If it's bad, we'll opt out.) Thoughts from those of you familiar with this route?
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375
4 REPLIES 4

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We drove our Class C (not towing) over that route back in 2005 and again in 2009. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. My recollection is that the road from Logan to the top was a gradual climb but curvy (not switchbacks). There is about 1-2 miles of 7% downgrade just before Garden City. On a clear day Bear lake is an amazing shade of blue. We did an overnight at the KOA in Garden City. There is an ice cream place that does great Raspberry shakes.

More info on the Logan Canyon Scenic Byway.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks! Good to know. Mt West made it sound pretty scary - but then, sometimes the write-ups in there end up sounding a lot worse than the reality. Since this is a new TT to us, I'm a bit wary of how it handles. We should have the hitch set up properly by then, which will help.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Road is a little bit curvy, but nothing out of the ordinary. If weather is good, you will enjoy the trip. The FS campground at the top, overlooking the lake is nice so check and see if it will be open.

RLMiller
Explorer
Explorer
It's been some time since I've travelled from Logan to Monteplier on Hwy 89, but I thought it was a pretty decent road. If during, or right after a storm, I'd check locally regarding conditions. I don't recall any rough spots.

Richard L. Miller
2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38'
2014 Honda CRV toad
Amateur Radio KJ6W