cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for possible secondary hwy rout east to west Texas

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to end up near Amarillo starting from the eastern border. We generally pick up US 287 in DFW but looking at the map maybe getting on it sooner at Beaumont, but don't want to drive thru DFW if possible. Any thoughts from you Texicans will be welcome. Just looking for something different this time.

Maybe cut across NE in Palestine to Taylor and catch that bypass around DFW that's been suggested here.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Any thoughts from you Texicans will be welcome.
What the heck is a Texican?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
If you meant Tyler (instead of Taylor) you can take 287 to woodville, then US 69 all the way to US 82 just north of Bells. Then west on 82 to 287 at Henrietta. That bypasses the DFW area. Don’t know about lower part of 69. But 69 north from I-20 to 82 is good highway as is 82 over to 287.

OK that's the bypass I was thinking of, I tried to figure it out on the map but was wrong...heh. Thanks. I know it's been posted here a number of times but the search function being what it is here (worthless in most part) I was guessing. Heh either I did find it or my map skills aren't so bad since that is the route I had marked and yes Tyler was it. Tho I bet there is a Taylor TX since it has one of every other name it seems. Heh yup just east of Round Rock...
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you meant Tyler (instead of Taylor) you can take 287 to woodville, then US 69 all the way to US 82 just north of Bells. Then west on 82 to 287 at Henrietta. That bypasses the DFW area. Don’t know about lower part of 69. But 69 north from I-20 to 82 is good highway as is 82 over to 287.

Edit: Oops. I was posting at the same time as padredw. I knew I should have waited and let him give expert advice from the voice of experience all over that area. :B

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe cut across NE in Palestine to Taylor

I think something is wrong here. I lived in Palestine for a good many years. Taylor is down near Austin, not up toward Dallas.

Anyway I'll give you one possibility: How about US 98 from Mobile, US 49 from Hattisburg, I-20 from Jackson, US 80 to Marshall, TX 154 to Gilmer, US 271 to Paris, US 82 to US 287 at Henrietta (near Wichita Falls) and on to Amarillo.

I have made every mile of this route multiple times. US 82 runs across North Texas far enough to miss almost all congestion related to DFW. There are good bypasses around Marshall and Paris, TX.

IF you really wanted to avoid I-20 you could follow US 84 across Louisiana to pick up I-49 at Alexandria. On this route there is a good bypass around Shreveport.

There are many possible variations on this basic route and I've tried most of them.