cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lukeville/Sonoyta Crossing

Talleyho69
Has anyone crossed there recently with dogs?

Last year, they asked for health certificates and sent us on our way. Easy.

Two years ago, 3 of them came inside, went through EVERYTHING, and did not want to let us enter with any meat, cheese, pet food, lettuce, nothing. Finally they backed down and gave us a brochure that stated that it wasn't the law, but for the good of Mexico. One of the people was a female veterinarian.

We have wondered if it was a "pet" project of someones, a PhD project, or something similar.

I'd like to know if I need to empty my freezer and fridge before I get to the border this year!!!
19 REPLIES 19

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this is on-topic to the orig post: we'll take more dog food next time. Our delicate beasts eat no-grain food or they scratch like crazy all the time. The only place we could find it earlier this year was at Pet Smart and a bag that we pay $40 for north was $80 south. All the stores have dog food, just not grain free. Little packs of cat treats like "Temptations" were around $7 and we pay $3 north.

Other than these things, we found everything we could imagine at great prices. No need to carry anything. Plus, we ate out a lot because it was so great and affordable.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Selkie wrote:
First time in a couple of years-today I was waved through with no inspection of my travel trailer.

Last week they went through all of our campers. You just never know.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Talleyho69
That's the information I'm looking for! Thanks!!!!

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
First time in a couple of years-today I was waved through with no inspection of my travel trailer. I had no pets with me. Thanked the guard and she gave me a big smile.

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
You were lucky, this is the only crossing they have given me a hassle with my dog and taken all my beef away.

They told me to tell you that they really enjoyed your steaks but this year to have them cut thicker. :B

Talleyho69
How recently? We were fine last year, but the year before, not.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
You were lucky, this is the only crossing they have given me a hassle with my dog and taken all my beef away.

Talleyho69
Asking about the Mexico side.

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
We usually cross at Lukeville/Sonoyta both north and south and have never had more than a cursory look in. The only time we ever were sent to inspection was our first crossing north in 2006 and then the inspector only took our car food after letting us fill a bowl for them so they would have food 'till morning.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
In March, the nice lady asked to come inside and look around but when she saw the dogs she said that she would just look outside!
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
For the last 2 or 3 years they have always walked through every camper in our group with & without dogs. None of us have had anything confiscated or even the suggestion of it.

If you have an attitude when they enter I would guess they will reciprocate and your day will not end on a happy note.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Talleyho69
We still have 6 years left on our TIP, and keep hoping to not have to deal with Nogales.
It seems to be the pet issue. If they are visible, you are a target, or at least a few years ago. Last year, not.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Use nogales south, far less hassles and use lukeville north. They are bored and go through everything at that crossing it seems. I saw a couple turned back 3 years ago because they did not have their marriage certificate, they crossed back and crossed at Nogales, I saw them the next day in San Carlos.

Talleyho69
Thank you both!