cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnolia, TX -Hot Springs AR-Fall Creek Falls, T<

C130
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Fall Creek Falls, TN in June and stopping for a few nights at Lake Catherine State Park in Hot Springs, AR. I have driven this route to Tennessee numerous times as I am from Tennessee. I live just west of I-45 north or Houston in Magnolia, TX. Most of the trip planning services take me up I-45 to Huntsville, TX then HWY 19 to Crocket, HWY21 Rusk, HWY 79 Henderson, then at Marshal, TX connecting to HWY 59, then to Texarkana. My GPS has never taken me this route for the last 12 years and I'm not familiar with the route at all up to Texarkana. I've always gone over to Highway 59 all the way to Texarkana, then I-30 to Little rock, I-40 through Tennessee.

Anyone familiar with this route up to Texarkana? I'm hesitant to take the recommended route though it shows about 30-45 minutes quicker. Just wondering how the roads are, fuel stops, etc.
6 REPLIES 6

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
X2. You're better off going the way that's familiar.
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Go the way you are familiar.

There is a four mile difference in the trip length going that suggested route, vs going straight over to US-59 from Conroe to Cleveland.

That's the issue with routing software - they think four miles is 'shorter/faster' for a 400 mile trip.

Also the 30-45 minutes 'quicker' is based on the speed limits on those roads. You are not going to be running the speed limits of 65-70-75 on those two lane roads in an RV/ towing a trailer. (Yes, Texas does have 65-70 speed limits on two lane no-shoulder secondary state highways. 75 if it has a 3 ft wide paved shoulder.)

I have tweaked my Streets & Trips for a 62 mph max, and slower on two lane roads. It shows the recommended route as at least 30 minutes longer.

There are a lot more stop lights, stop signs and fewer good fuel stops on that route than on US-59.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
59 to I-30 to I-40 is the way we go.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

C130
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. We usually drive this route (59) to Tennessee every summer but it's been about 2-3 years since we last did it. I had never had GPS or trip planning software send me this route before so wanted to get some advice, appreciate it.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I was writing my post before I ever saw PawPaw's, so it was not in opposition, BUT . . .

I also know US 59 pretty well. I was pastor in Humble, TX for seven years and often made the journey back up to East Texas to visit my hometown.

I guess I would have to say that I enjoyed the drive up through Huntsville, Crockett, et al more than US 59, but we all have the right to personal preference. Frankly, I don't think there is much difference in time between the two routes.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions about either of these routes.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I have taken that route more times than I can remember. I came to Magnolia in 1952. My wife is a native of Magnolia. OK ... back to the route.

Just as you have outlined it except that at Rusk you take TX 110 to New Summerfield. Actually, I have often taken a Farm/Market road as a short cut, but I do not recommend it for first time.

I know every inch of these roads. I was superintendent of the Palestine District of the Methodist Church and the area went all the way down to Riverside north of Huntsville; included Trinity, Lovelady, Crockett, Alto, Rusk, and New Summerfield along the roads you have asked about. The road from Crockett to Alto is El Camino Real--the old Royal Road between Nacogdoches and San Antonio. You should enjoy the drive. You will pass by the Mission State Park where there is a replica of the mission, San Francisco de las Tejas. Beautiful little park with overnight camping.

BTW, you take US 69 from Alto to Rusk, and at Henderson take TX 43 to Marshall. I was pastor in Henderson for seven years and in the early days of my ministry I was pastor of a small church in Marshall, right on TX 43.

I've told you far more than you asked, but I hope this may be helpful as you plan your trip.

We are going up to Petit Jean State Park in two weeks. Hope the weather will be great--for us and for you.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Go the way you are familiar.

There is a four mile difference in the trip length going that suggested route, vs going straight over to US-59 from Conroe to Cleveland.

That's the issue with routing software - they think four miles is 'shorter/faster' for a 400 mile trip.

Also the 30-45 minutes 'quicker' is based on the speed limits on those roads. You are not going to be running the speed limits of 65-70-75 on those two lane roads in an RV/ towing a trailer. (Yes, Texas does have 65-70 speed limits on two lane no-shoulder secondary state highways. 75 if it has a 3 ft wide paved shoulder.)

I have tweaked my Streets & Trips for a 62 mph max, and slower on two lane roads. It shows the recommended route as at least 30 minutes longer.

There are a lot more stop lights, stop signs and fewer good fuel stops on that route than on US-59.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT