cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mailing weapons to Alaska from the lower 48

AZSENIOR
Explorer
Explorer
We are travelling from Arizona to the Kenai this summer via the Alaska Highway and are aware that we cannot travel through Canada with a hand gun. Any advice from a fellow RVer on how to get the weapon to Alaska?
18 REPLIES 18

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i believe you can get an authorize to transport form or non resident dec form and pay a small fee so you can pass through with the handgun.it needs to be unloaded and trigger locked with the ammo stored separate and declared at the border.i'd check with the customs office anyway.we are allowed handguns here but we have restrictive transportation laws.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
AZSenior,
As noted, the rules for long guns and hand guns are quite different.
The US Postal Service WILL accept long guns for transport to a licensed FFL. The USPS WILL NOT accept hand guns for shipment!

UPS & FEDEX will accept hand guns for shipment to a licensed FFL - BUT - only via Next Day Air - which is quite expensive - but doable. So...the direct answer is to make contact with an FFL where you plan to be in Alaska to accept receipt of your hand gun and deliver it to you when you arrive. And of course, it will need to be done in reverse when you return from Alaska.

(You may find it about the same cost to :
* - purchase an appropriate used hand gun in Alaska,
* - keep it for the duration and
* - then sell it back before the trip South.)

A quick web search will get you to the actual rules and directions to do the shipment.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The new way to do it is by drone.

Just joking. I looked into it a little and I guess one way is to have a gun dealer ship it to another gun dealer. I'm not going soon so I didn't go far in my research.

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
Long or hand? Two very different sets of rules.