cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mexican Insurance

jwdsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I am hearing that travelers to Mexico do not insure their vehicles but get their licenses insured. Can anyone give me any advice on this ?
13 REPLIES 13

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
As a single person, with both a RV and auto fulltime in Mexico, I have a driver's license policy. It is written through Qualitas, and the premium is $176.00 for $300,000 coverage, and is for the entire country.

As an RV'er, make sure you are covered for the Mexican states you will be travelling. Many policies, offering low premiums, do not cover you for the high liability ones.

Talleyho69
The Progressive coverage in Mexico is something you have to talk to them about and read how it is written. We were charged $10 a year for ALL of our coverage in Mexico except liability. When we read the fine print, they had restricted us to 10 days a year in Mexico. Another phone call, and we had it changed to 6 months with no additional charge.
To my knowledge, all of the providers of Mexican liability insurance raised their limits January 1 of last year to cover the higher limits.

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware also that several states have raised their liability limits. You should get at least $500,000 if you're going to be traveling in those states. I'd look them up, but my internet is very slow here in Oaxaca. RYV

Graydon
Explorer
Explorer
We have National Interstate and they provide collision for both our motorhome and car in all of Mexisco

Graydon

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We have Progressive and it does cover collision for all of Mexico. But be aware that some comp. items are NOT covered in Mexico. If you have theft of personal items with Progressive they do not cover you outside of the USA. BUT if you have an accident in Mexico the vehicle must be repaired in the USA. That is a good thing! If the vehicle is not drivable they will tow it back to the USA! I think the Mexico option was $5.00. Of course Liability must be purchased from a Mexican insurer. I will echo the comments on Lewis and Lewis. We have been using them for over 20 years and they are great!

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate Post

Moisheh

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I recently learned that I can't get collision or theft for my 1998 motorcycle in Mexico because it is more than 15 years old. All I can find is liability insurance.
I'm still going, but I'll be out if something happens.

wandering_mike
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Check out progressive, they cover collison in Mexico so you just have to purchase liability

I have Progressive and they do not cover anything in Mexico

I too have Progressive and was told in the last month that Progressive covered collision, but ONLY WITHIN 25 Miles of the border. I guess to me, that means if you are using that approach, one has to read the policy or get a "farther in" commitment via email or something. It turns out I am not taking the RV down this year so am not looking further into it.

Geico, with whom I have another car, said they don't cover cars a regards colliion.
Wandering Mike
My AbueloLoco Blog

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We have Progressive and have for years. They DO cover our motorhome for comp in Mexico but NOT our car. We have checked with them for the specifics every year to make sure we are covered. We buy Mexico liability for both vehicles and Mexico comp for the car. Saving a buck can cost a fortune.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
Check out progressive, they cover collison in Mexico so you just have to purchase liability

I have Progressive and they do not cover anything in Mexico

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We insure both our vehicles (Jeep and Motorhome) through Lewis and Lewis.

I believe that you can get a driver's policy for Mexico which provides only Third Party Liability insurance. I don't know if Lewis and Lewis offer that. Give them a phone call. You will get a real person who will have all the answers. They are a great company to work with we have been insuring through them for 12 years. Note: They close for lunch!

Also note that Third Party Liability Coverage often does NOT cover passengers in the vehicle. For example, if you are involved in an accident neither you nor your passengers will be covered for injury. Also note that a significant number of Mexican drivers/vehicles are uninsured. Your Third Party policy won't cover you here either.

Whatever policy you end up with READ IT CAREFULLY AND UNDERSTAND IT.

Talleyho69
Never heard of it. Check at the top of the page for insurance information. DON'T be a statistic and be stupid. No offense intended!