cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mississippi River Road

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to travel the Mississippi River Road this summer. Is there one good place to find information or do we need to contact each state? Do you have any travel hints or must not miss spots? Any memories or thoughts to share?
20 REPLIES 20

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Literally a 1 second search on Bing found this: Link

The first hit on searching "Mississippi River Road". In Chrome you can do the search just by highlighting the term and using the right click dropdown menu to pick: "Search Bing for XXX". Or is you still use Google it will do the same.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to travel the entire River from Lake Itasca to New Orleans. (One of the advantages of being retired)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My hint or advice would be to take it slow. Stay a few nights (at least) every where you go and take day trips. See as many of the Antebellum Mansions as you can. Natchez is a must see. Visit as many Civil War places as you can. Been to Graceland? Now is the time.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do Do Not miss Natchez and Vicksburg MS. They are really lovely towns with tons of history and in beautiful spots with great RV Parks. The old Plantation homes and their checkered histories are must sees.

A real eye opener and a very nice small museum is the Natchez Museum of African American Culture.

Tour the Vicksburg Battle National Military Park. It's moving and gives one a real sense of the battle lines and troops who fought here. Do not miss the USS Cairo Museum which is part of the Park. It's a stunning piece of 19th century technology and a fine museum.

Between Vicksburg and Natchez is the Grand Gulf Military State Park a civil war era site and museum with it's own campground which is very very nice. This is a peaceful and beautiful place to stay.

Back to Natchez There is a very nice RV Park River View RV Park just across the Mississippi from town in Vidalia Louisiana. It is right on the river with a view of Natchez.

And any trip down the Miss must include a stop in Memphis and, yes hold that derisive laughter...a visit to Graceland. Now I am fully aware of what some perceive of this place but I can tell you that it is a very educational, and at times funny and moving experience. Dont miss it. And there are two RV parks just blocks away.

Suspend your judgement on that and just go. You wont regret it.

Finally in New Orleans the National WWII museum is one of the finest in the country if not the best. It personalizes this titanic conflict with immediacy, empathy and in great detail...very well done. Don't miss it.

And last but not least is the New Orleans Museum of Art. Plenty of Old Masters, impressionists and more modern art a very worthwhile stop.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have done it from one end to the other. Lots of good COE campgrounds on the Mississippi, at least on the right side. Take your time, there are lots of things to do and places to see. Search "Great River Road" What part of it are you planning on?? You can travel either side of the River, and.or swap back and forth.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago there was a web site , they would sent you a map. Very scenic drive , planning to do part of it this summer. Have done parts of it before. If you stop in Memphis you have to go to Sun Records. Across the river from Memphis Tom Sawyer Rv park right on the bank of the Mississippi River.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS