cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missoula - Portland US12 vs I90

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
Will be going from Missoula to Portland in late September. Looks like there a couple of possibilities - US12 via Lewiston or I90 via Spokane.

My usual inclination is to stay off the Interstate and follow the blue roads but I haven't spent much time in that part of the world let alone driving a big rig. There is basically no difference in mileage.

In my Mountain Directory it does indicate Lolo Pass on US12 has 35-40mph curves then a long stretch of curvy road but I'm not that interested in going fast anyway. Otherwise, to me, it doesn't look like much difference in gradient and elevation between that and the passes on I90. But what do I know, other than a few excursions to Estes Park CO all my driving experience is in Texas.

So I'm looking for advice and opinions about the 2 possibilities I see (or any others that you might know of).

Thanks...

Greg - 40ft Diesel Pusher towing a CRV
8 REPLIES 8

grandma_lynn
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Islandman wrote:
... After Lewiston, you will be driving along the Snake River and eventually meet up with the Columbia, not much to look at but the highway is fine. ....

Actually it only stays with the river till Chief Timothy park, about 8 miles. Then it climbs a side valley to Alpowa Summit (WSDOT camera), and from there follows a gentle valley through Pomeroy. This is the route that Lewis & Clark took on their return trip. This overland route was easier than traveling upstream along the Snake.

The Summit isn't much of a pass (2785'), just the top of the climb to the wheat growing fields of SE Washington. There's a rest stop.

Lewiston is the lowest point in Idaho, so every way out, except by boat, involves some uphill.

Highway 12 is a beautiful drive, many places to pull over and look, hike, even small bridges to cross the Lochsa river into the wilderness to hike there. Love the Pomeroy, WA area, antique shops, Pataha Mill to browse through etc.
full-timer in training

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Islandman wrote:
... After Lewiston, you will be driving along the Snake River and eventually meet up with the Columbia, not much to look at but the highway is fine. ....

Actually it only stays with the river till Chief Timothy park, about 8 miles. Then it climbs a side valley to Alpowa Summit (WSDOT camera), and from there follows a gentle valley through Pomeroy. This is the route that Lewis & Clark took on their return trip. This overland route was easier than traveling upstream along the Snake.

The Summit isn't much of a pass (2785'), just the top of the climb to the wheat growing fields of SE Washington. There's a rest stop.

Lewiston is the lowest point in Idaho, so every way out, except by boat, involves some uphill.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to see a great part of Idaho, take US 12. Yes it has many curves and the going is slower, but you only have one pass to drive (Lolo Pass). The Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers are great to see and enjoy. Lots of historic places to stop at along that route in Idaho. After Lewiston, you will be driving along the Snake River and eventually meet up with the Columbia, not much to look at but the highway is fine. When you get to Oregon the interstate along the Columbia is a piece of cake, lots of places to stop and make sure you see the waterfalls in the gorge area. Don't be in a hurry, you're in one of the most scenic areas of the northwest when you go from Missoula to Portland along this route.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Folks really should mention about the curves on US 12.

Drove it last fall, from Missoula to Lewiston. Scenic, I think. :h

That's because the whole route is nothing more than one endless curve.

You come out of one, you can see the next one already, and maybe even the one after that.

Scenic, yes it probably is, but as a driver, you're not going to see it.

Passengers will love it, they can actually look around. Driving, not a chance, you've got to watch for that next curve you're almost into again.

I got so tired of it after awhile I couldn't wait to get off it.

Mind you, there are plenty of spots to pull over alongside the river or other places to take a break, and enjoy the gorgeous scenery.

But I surely did not enjoy the road.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
us 12 is a beautiful drive,lolo pass is not bad at all very curvy but nothing to worry about ken
ken

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
one thing is the hills on the interstate freeways are not as steep as the ones on US12

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Done both. I doubt you would want to try and make that in a day on either route.
I-90 to US-395 to I-82 to I-84
US-12 to I-82 to I-84.

US 12 is a more interesting drive, but certainly slower.

Definitely not - looking at a minimum of 2 days - more if there are good places to stop.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Done both. I doubt you would want to try and make that in a day on either route.
I-90 to US-395 to I-82 to I-84
US-12 to I-82 to I-84.

US 12 is a more interesting drive, but certainly slower.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.