cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monroe Mi to Oshkosh WI

rmorrison9773
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling to Oshkosh Wi from Monroe Mi on 7/20, Leaving Monroe MI about 7:00PM. What are your recommendations getting through the Chicago area, should be in the Chicago area around midnight. Will be pulling a 31ft Travel Trailer
10 REPLIES 10

rmorrison9773
Explorer
Explorer
Final destination is AirVenture in Oshkosh so it sounds like I'll be good with I94 around midnight. Thanks all.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rmorrison9773 wrote:
Traveling to Oshkosh Wi from Monroe Mi on 7/20, Leaving Monroe MI about 7:00PM. What are your recommendations getting through the Chicago area, should be in the Chicago area around midnight. Will be pulling a 31ft Travel Trailer

Is your destination down town Chicago?
Or are you just passing by or thru Chicago?

Midnight should be ok if during the week.

Just be aware that trucks are not allowed to park down town and not allowed period on LSD. If that is your destination.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bloomis2925
Explorer
Explorer
I80 to I88 to I39 is less tolls, but further distance. We did that to avoid Chicago once. Google traffic alerted us that it was almost all stopped traffic no matter which way in Chicago, so we went the I80 - I88 -I39. I have done the Sunday morning I294 to I90 and it was busy, but like someone else said, just depends. Use Google traffic to check traffic when you get close, say Gary, Indiana and decide from there.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you are after the drive times, Chicago isn't all that bad.

Be sure to fire up GasBuddy and buy fuel between Illinois and Michigan.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went through Chicago several years back on the way to WI Dells. We left MI about 7:00 pm. on a Friday night and went through Chicago about midnight. It was about a 4 or 5 lane freeway WB. It was stop and go - took forever; until we got to about Rockford area. All trucks, took hours to get through Chicago, and toll booths seemed like every mile. Never again. I take I80 to I39 now.
Actually headed to Baraboo, WI tomorrow.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic during the early evening through Chicago should not be bad.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:
My favorite route through Chicago involves the Mackinac Bridge.

Second favorite. First is the Indiana toll way to Lake Station to 94 and through after the idiots have got home... IOW, midnight and up to 5am.

This is probably the better choice for that time of night. You won't share the roads with as many deer as in the UP!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:

Second favorite. First is the Indiana toll way to Lake Station to 94 and through after the idiots have got home... IOW, midnight and up to 5am.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I94. Probably won't even touch your brakes