cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Natchez Trace

hogbob
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me if a 38ft motorhome is advisable to drive on Natchez trace hwy in Mississippi ?
11 REPLIES 11

srflorie
Explorer
Explorer
According to the National Park Service the overall length is 55' so if you're towing make sure you are within the limits. That's why we can't go again as we are right at 60' with our toad. Years ago we did the whole parkway in a 29' Class C pulling a car and were fine, but not now. Would love to do it again but not taking the chance on getting busted for over length.

"Recreational vehicles are a popular way to see the parkway. The length restriction for RVs is 55 feet, including a tow vehicle, and the height restriction is 14 feet."
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2006 Maroon HHR2LT
2010 Silver Cadillac SRX

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have driven the Natchez Trace Parkway. I was thinking driving from south to north. How much time would be good to have? Do I need to try and make reservations along the way? Or just start driving? Your experienced help would be appreciated.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

hogbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
hogbob wrote:
Can anyone tell me if a 38ft motorhome is advisable to drive on Natchez trace hwy in Mississippi ?

We have run the total trace a number of times and another few partials. If you are doing it from the south, there is are several visitor centers. They should have the book that I cannot find on their site. there is an historic site about every other mile of the 444 mile length. Some are fascinating most are at least interesting.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
hogbob wrote:

yup. we drove our 35' + toad fron N'ville to at least Tupelo, MS wifhout issue.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We have been up and down it several times. Only time we had a problem they were paving the road. I had to get out and move the cones over so we and those behind us could pass. There was no real shoulder on that portion. I understand from others here on the forums new RV parks suitable for Class As are now on the Trace.
In Tupelo, Mississippi, that of portion it is used ad part of their major road plan, which is illegal in my view and certainly counter to the intent. A lot more traffic on that portion and even banned semis and other commercial vehicles get away with using it at times..but they do catch some of them and the fines are very stiff..

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been traveling the trace for many years. There is a 50 MPH limit posted, but as long as you stay under 60, you’ll be fine. X2 on the deer.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You do have to watch for turkeys and deer but other than that it is an easy drive. Lots of neat places to stop along the trace.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a beautiful drive...enjoy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just made the trip 3 weeks ago, could drive miles never see another vehicle, apparently they have raised the speed most of the way it is 50, no clearance proplems , some low hanging limbs Beautiful Drive , probably most of the time won’t be doing the limit anyway, drove the entire 444 miles

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The trace is a two lane road with a 45 mph speed limit. You will need to check any height limits. Yes you will be fine traveling the trace. Watch your speed, stay in your lane, get on it with full fuel. There are 3 campgrounds with no hookups. Sites are pull thru. Will fit any length. No dumps. There are commercial campgrounds just off the trace along the way. Go and enjoy.