cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newburgh KOA to Phil/West Chester KOA

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
I will be going from Newburgh KOA to Phil/West Chester KOA in August. Streets & Trips has me going Interstate 87 - Interstate 287 - Route 202 - Route 611 - Interstate 76. But I was wondering if it would be better to go Interstate 87 - Interstate 287 - Interstate 95 - Interstate 276 - Interstate 76.

Anyone have any experience on these routes would be greatly appreciated.
2013 Chev Silverado, 2500HD D/A
2010 32' Mountaineer model 285rld
5 REPLIES 5

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there before a few years ago. Just make sure you follow there driving directions and not your gps
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information.
2013 Chev Silverado, 2500HD D/A
2010 32' Mountaineer model 285rld

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Also the roads in Pa near West Chester and also to the KOA if you come off Route 1 are loaded with curves
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware this cg has some very tight spots. We were there a few years ago and (fortunately) had requested a shaded site. The shaded sites are kind of around the perimeter of a field full of rvs. There was one site that was literally just on the side of the road. That being said, it's a nice cg in a nice area.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
The "Philadelphia/West Chester KOA" is actually not in Philadelphia, or West Chester, for that matter. It's in the wilds of Chester County, about a dozen miles west of WC, and a bit north of Kennett Square and the World Famous Longwood Gardens.

Now that I look at your first route, it's probably not all that bad - we did a trip north along very much the same route two years ago, from home here in Salem up to Croton-on-the-Hudson. I-287 was busy, but didn't present any major problems, and we took it across the Tappan Zee to Tarrytown.

When you get on US 202 near Bridgewater, NJ, you can pretty much cruise, with only minor congestion around the Flemington-New Hope area. Once in PA, it's not all that bad either, unless you hit it on a Friday in the summer at 5:30 in a thunderstorm...

Take 202 all the way to West Chester. Doylestown to Norristown may be a little busy, but it's not all that bad, IIRC. If you check out a map, you'll see how 202 takes a major left turn just west of Norristown, heading SSW towards West Chester. Four lanes all the way, basically. Once you get to WC, the GPS will probably have you heading out on Route 162 west to the KOA, which means you'll be going straight through WC proper on Gay Street. Meh, I'm a native of that area, and learned to drive those roads in a creepy 1955 VW Bug in the snow, so it wouldn't bother me, but you might look at looping around town to the south, staying on US 202, and taking Route 926 west for a bit and then north up to the KOA on Rt 82 to Rt 162 and sneaking up on the campers from the south. 🙂

Check out Google Maps of the area. You'll see that the KOA is plopped down between two major east-west routes in that part of PA, US 30 to the north, and US 1 to the south. The roads between there, in the aforementioned wilds of Chester County, are scenic, upsy-downsy and spots, and tight turns are the norm. Your Silverado and 32'er might be a little tight, but hell, they take 52' semis up and down those roads all the time, so it can be done.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...