cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newfoundland

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I would like to travel to St John's Newfoundland this coming June (2014). I've searched the Newfoundland website, used GoodSam trip making software, but none of them give enough information. I've kept a few blogs people have written about their trips but again, not enough good information about roads, fuel, and campsites. Any recommendations?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
19 REPLIES 19

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry....First if you are going to spend most of your time around St John's then take the ferry to Argentia. Our friends took the ferry last year with their 5th wheel / 2 adults. It cost around $1000 each way. When travelling around the island there will be lots of smaller ferries so be prepared. You need to book the ferry well ahead and decide if you would like a berth the crossing can be 12 to 14 hours. You are not allowed to be in your rig.
The other ferry is shorter and obviously less. You will have to drive to St Johns and there could be quite a few small ferries to take.

Yes you can find campgrounds with 50 amp. Again, book ahead. The campgrounds are a lot smaller.

I don't know about travelling with a bird. You would have to check with immigration and the Canada food inspection agency. It may depend on the type of bird. I am sure your bird has to be in quarantine for 90 days, meaning not be around any other birds. You will have to check with Atlantic Marine as far as the bird and ferries.

Time wise...July and August will be the most popular times for travel.

Once you have a plan on what you are doing in Newfoundland, how far you want to go etc. Then it will be easier to make arrangements and help you.

Remember...Newfoundland is a bit more remote than other provinces. You may have to drive a little further, a little slower. One thing to be very aware of is moose. There is a very large population and road accidents are usually serious and deadly.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
bhivetravels

You said birds from what I heard from a fellow traveler with a bird going to and from Alaska he had to jump through some hoops more than a dog or cat certificates and time lines as I remember.

In Quartzsite if you go there is an information booth about travel in the Maritime s if they still have that

JimR

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
What exactly would you like to know? If you look on a map as I am sure you have, major roads are limited. Try asking specific questions please and I will try to help. If I can't then I will gladly ask three of my neighbors they are from Newfoundland and will have answers to any question and will be happy to help. One thing you will find, folk from the rock are some of the nicest, down to earth people you will find and if you can't find a place they would likely say for you to just pull up on their property for the night or offer you a bed.

Well for starters the ferry goes to two locations. One seems to be the long way around the rock, the other closer to St Joh's. What if any are the benefits of taking the longer drive? What's the difference in ferry cost?
Are there any 50 amp full service rv parks around St John's? I noticed in one travel blog that the couple traveled with their two dogs. Are there any restrictions to birds? And finally we are planning on June but are flexible to go later. Shoould we wait until July or August?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Be specific. When we went in 2010 we had no problems with roads, campgrounds or finding fuel.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly would you like to know? If you look on a map as I am sure you have, major roads are limited. Try asking specific questions please and I will try to help. If I can't then I will gladly ask three of my neighbors they are from Newfoundland and will have answers to any question and will be happy to help. One thing you will find, folk from the rock are some of the nicest, down to earth people you will find and if you can't find a place they would likely say for you to just pull up on their property for the night or offer you a bed.