cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newport to Crescent City

dmcgiffin
Explorer
Explorer
Would like driving information with 36' motor home and toad. Looking at Google Earth is seems the best route over to Hwy 101 from Interstate 5 is Hwy 20 to Newport. Once we get to Crescent City travel east on Hwy 199 back to the Interstate to continue to Reno Nevada. Any information would be great.36 '
Doug and Cathy
2005 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme 37'
Tow Dolly with 2012 Chevy Malibu
7 REPLIES 7

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't take 299. If you took 199 at Grant's Pass, you would come out at Crescent City. You would miss some of the most scenic coast in Southern Oregon, though.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
You could go down to 299 in CA and come out in Redding.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
x2 22 to 18 to 101

Y-Guy
My personal choice is to take Hwy 22 (Salem) to Hwy 18 (Lincoln City). I've done Hwy 20 before at night, in the rain and vowed to never drive it again. Day time might be fine but the other route so much easier with fewer curves. Even Hwy 126 Eugene/Florence is better IMHO.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
101 South of Brookings, once you get over the Ca border, has had a ton of road repairs, and it is REALLY bumpy. Take it slow and you will be fine.

20 into Newport is just fine, and 101 S is a spectacular drive though Cape Perpetua.

If you are going any day but Sunday, plan on a few extra hours, at least, going South on 101... You will want to see Devils Churn and Thors Well on the way through, but, there is a ton of road construction just South of Cape Perpetua, and North of Reedsport.

Not sure what's going on South of Reedsport, since we haven't been that way in a couple months, but it sure seems there is construction everywhere on the 101.

Have a fun, safe trip.

PM me if you need any additional info, or have any questions.

We have been traveling the Newport 101 north and south route, and 20 east/ west for the last 2 weeks.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your starting point? Newport is kind of mid coast, so you do miss the north coast scenery.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't have any problems on either road. Just be mindful of traffic building up behind you and pull over when you can safely. FYI Beverley Beach SP near Newport is one of our favorite cg's.