cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North to Alaska

Jeep_Red
Explorer
Explorer
I am planing a trip this summer and would like some road info. I have a 36 ft Pace Arrow and will have a toad with me.What routs should I stay away from? I drove my old RV in 09 and would like to take a different rout this time,went up the west side of the Rockies then.
16 REPLIES 16

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Another very good way to avoid Calgary and Edmonton is to go west to Highway 22, called the cowboy highway. Very nice paved 2 lane, little traffic, mountains on the west, wheat farms and ranches on the east. You can get info, from Google on what it is like and things to do. Richard

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Moose10 wrote:
The Cassiar Highway in BC is a favorite "shortcut" of mine, plus you can avoid Edmonton.
One can avoid Edmonton by going through Grande Cache.

I've done that too, but I think the Cassiar is less busy, more scenic and better suited for towing, not to mention a more direct route to the ALCAN.
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Moose10 wrote:
The Cassiar Highway in BC is a favorite "shortcut" of mine, plus you can avoid Edmonton.
One can avoid Edmonton by going through Grande Cache.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are starting, you may have crossed the Rockies to get on the Alaska Highway. What motor, what length RV, how much does it weight, how big of thing is your towed? How much power do you have? Pretty hard to answer your question based on your information. Been reading Alaska travel blogs for 10 years preparing to go. Never read where anyone turned back from lack of power. Richard

Jeep_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all I now have some planing to do.
2005 36D PA with Banks system full install.
Toad 2015 Xterra

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep Red wrote:
Can I get my 36ft RV over the Rockies,I'll have a toad with me

Any RV can make it over the Rockies, even with a toad. The only variant is how much slower you'll be going at the top of a hill. There's not really any route that you need to avoid, although that depends on your driving skill. Off the main roads, you won't be going into Telegraph Creek (BC) or Kennicott (Alaska) with it.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Jeep_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Sumas, Washington I went that way last time but forgot the name of the town,Thanks

Jeep_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Can I get my 36ft RV over the Rockies,I'll have a toad with me

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Roads and Routes to RVing in Alaska/Canada
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I15 to the border, then main highways north to Edmonton and on to Dawson Ck and the Alaska Hwy. But many like to go part of the way through the Canadian Rockies parks.

But there's a lot more discussion on the Canada/Alaska board, as well as books like Mileposts.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed the border at Sumas, Washington. It's not a busy place.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jeep_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Sun City,AZ

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From where?