cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northwest Michigan to Memphis

cointoss
Explorer
Explorer
Should I keep on I 94, 80 through Chicago to I 57 or jump off at I 65 and head South to Hwy 14 or Hwy 24 to I 57 to bypass traffic in Chicago? Would have to leave here at 12 mid night to hit Chicago and I still have a long drive down to Memphis after that. What do you think?
cointoss
8 REPLIES 8

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
I would never drive through Chicago, day or night, if I had another choice.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Paulj is right, go straight south down through Lansing to Indianapol is and catch I-469 west to I-70 and continue west.

I lived in Gaylord for 20 years and agree with it taking about 6+ hours to be south of Chicago, but in 6 hours you'd be down around Ft. Wayne or further by taking I-69.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The subject line made me think of the UP (northwest), but Gaylord is at the top of the mitt.

If you are worried about passing through NW Indiana to get to I57, why not take I69 to Indianapolis?

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
There's little to no traffic on I-80/90 that time of night, so take any route you want...however during peak times there is a route from where your starting point is that truckers use.

cointoss
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could avoid the rush hour in Chicago but by the time I leave Northern Michigan, West of Gaylord, I would have to leave around 2:00a.m. and that would be tough for the rest of the trip that day down to Memphis area.
cointoss

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are from W MI and we now take I-57. There is much less traffic, especially semis, and I-57 tends to go around large cities, rather than thru them. There are rest areas all along the way for breaks. We tried I-65 the first year going south, and will avoid it because of the heavy traffic.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
There's only about 25 miles or so between I65 and I57 on 80. Just take that across to I57, and try to time it so you're not there between 7AM-9AM or 3PM-6+PM on a weekday.

Like dennisgt60 sez, if there's a wreck, its a parking lot. Pay your money, takes your chances.

I hate driving thru Chicago.......
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmm, well I've traveled the I-90, I -80 route west to I-57 many, many times without a glitch. Can't speak to your proposed alternative.

80/90 traffic seems to me to move along unless, of course, there's an accident in which case it can back up for miles.

Safe travel to Memphis.
2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.