cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Hot spot Alaska

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am looking to buy a new Hot Spot device to use with my computor in Alaska. I have a Virgin Mobile MIFI and could not use it in 2012. Virgin was also very rare out west this summer. I see now there are more Hot spot available.

Which one will work?

Straight Talk, which is supposed to use Verizon tower? Good cost to uses ratio. $40 for 2 months for 4GB
T Mobile, $35 for two month for 3.5GB
MIFI Virgin Mobile 60 per month for 6 GB, $25 for 1.5GB
Verizon - Most expensive
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
12 REPLIES 12

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Germany for 4 years in the early 1980, no phone, no internet, one TV channel, it was great!
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
oldbeek wrote:
Most of these spots also have a Mc Donalds:S

No McDonald's in Tok, Talkeetna, or Healy in 2013. Or Skagway, Haines, Dawson City, and Watson Lake, for that matter. And we could never connect to the WiFi at the Whitehorse McDonald's.

Although the visitor's center in Tok does not have WiFi, the gift shop across the street does. We didn't find WiFi in Talkeetna, but some of the cafes likely have it. But we did use the free WiFi at nearly every Fred Meyer and Safeway we visited between Idaho Falls and Soldotna.

When we were in the Denali-Healy area, we stayed at the Riley Creek Campground, where the laundry/store had pretty good WiFi. And lots of campers were sitting on benches and at the picnic tables there using their phones, tablets, and laptops.

How did we survive in Alaska during the 30 years I worked there before the Internet and cell phones were invented? Only communication method from remote areas back then were the radios in our planes and helicopters. We couldn't call home on those, but we did send postcards to our kids!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
lonnie4801 wrote:
We use a hot spot with AT&T service. In 2013 had 3G and 4G service in the following locations:

3G - Tok
3G - Pull out at MP 174.8 on the Glenn Hwy
4G - Palmer
4G - Eagle River
4G - Anchorage
4G - Wasilla
3G - Willow
4G - Talkeetna
4G - Healy
4G - Fairbanks
4G - North Pole
4G - Valdez

Most of the places we stayed had internet but ours was better. Some charged, some were free, and some were very slow.

We never used it going through Canada because there is an International roaming charge. Used the internet at the campgrounds.
Most of these spots also have a Mc Donalds:S
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked at Walmart Anchorage and when I select Straight Talk Hotspot it ask me to enter the Zip code for the Area. I entered the Zip code of Anchorage Walmart 99503 and it tells me that the Hotspot will not work in this area.

It's interesting to see that the Staight Talk phone says it will work in this area.

I also checked Virgin Hotspot http://www.walmart.com/ip/Virgin-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Pro-3G-4G-Mobile-Hotspot/21082068 and it says it work in the area, The MIFi I have is an older type, the little flat one, so maybe one will work!

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone can tell me if they sell Straight Talk phone or Hot spot in Alaska Wallmart, this would tell me that it should work up there.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
55cruisers wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Whatever solution you settle on, consider a Wilson Sleek booster. There's two versions, because there's really only two networks... Verizon and everybody else.

Where is the best place to buy a Wilson Sleek Booster?

Diane

Diane,

I bought mine from Amazon. The price seems to be similar from a number of online retailers. I also bought an upgraded outdoor antenna for mine, that is mounted to the back of my TT, with the wire running in through a gray tank roof vent.

I just checked Amazon, and the pricing has really changed from last year. I paid $99 for my Sleek, and it's now $119-140. The antenna is roughly the same price. Antenna Link
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
As Lonnie mentioned, there is fair, to good AT&T service in most of the urban areas of Alaska, so when there I use my iPhone hot spot to connect and rebroadcast the wifi signal to my other devices that need an Internet connection, such as my computer or iPads.

Someone mentioned that Verizon was putting in their own towers in Alaska, back a ways in another post. In the past they had been leasing space on other's towers. There are/were only about three or four carriers operating in Alaska for years. AT&T and Cellone have done some territory swaps over the years, with AT&T currently the carrier of those towers. There was a big push to put cell service into all the Alaska bush villages and I understand that project in finished. I believe it was MCI that was doing that project, but not sure if the system is compatible to most of our phones, may be but may not be.

Miles and miles of roads in Alaska have zero, zilch, nada, etc. cell service and then there are some signals in strange and remote locations. LOL Most of the pipeline corridor seems to have cell coverage, probably for security and maintenance reasons. While my iPhones and iPads are set up with AT&T, I also carry and normally activate my Verizon MiFi device but I have found on the last trip to Alaska the duplication of service wasn't needed so I turned off my MiFi account and only used my AT&T service.

However with that said, there are locations, where one or the other will have a better signal. A good friend of mine works as a track maintenance foreman for the Alaska Railroad and at times carries up to three (3) different cell phones with him, different carriers, to be able to call into the main office in Anchorage, from their work location at the time.

Even without cell service I have never had a problem finding an available WiFi hot spot to use. My thought is, if the owner of the device doesn't want me to use the signal, then they need to keep it out of my truck and RV. Many schools, churches, hotels have a good signal from their parking lots and leave them working 24 hours, seven days a week. Now I prefer to do banking over a cell hot spot connection as I feel it is more secure(except from the USA spy agencies) from being hacked or keylogged.

I also use a Wilson Sleek, probably use it more in the mountain west of the Lower 48, such as western Colorado. Bought it from the 3g Store, good service and a good price, many good vendors selling them online or at their stores.

Here are a couple of sites of the 3g Store, and as you can see, Wilson makes many different models for the different carries, uses, etc. I have found the Wilson people good to talk to when I need to buy. (they don't sell direct, but have good info) The 3g staff are also very knowledgeable and available for conversation to figure out which is best for your needs. Also check with Amazon on price, sure they have Sleeks as not much they don't have anymore.
www.3gstore.com

http://3gstore.com/product/4025_wilson_sleek_4g-universal_amplifier-813426.html

Decided to do a fast Amazon check and they do have them. I run an outside antenna on mine to get better service.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wilson%20sleek&sprefi...
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

55cruisers
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Whatever solution you settle on, consider a Wilson Sleek booster. There's two versions, because there's really only two networks... Verizon and everybody else.

Where is the best place to buy a Wilson Sleek Booster?

Diane

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We use a hot spot with AT&T service. In 2013 had 3G and 4G service in the following locations:

3G - Tok
3G - Pull out at MP 174.8 on the Glenn Hwy
4G - Palmer
4G - Eagle River
4G - Anchorage
4G - Wasilla
3G - Willow
4G - Talkeetna
4G - Healy
4G - Fairbanks
4G - North Pole
4G - Valdez

Most of the places we stayed had internet but ours was better. Some charged, some were free, and some were very slow.

We never used it going through Canada because there is an International roaming charge. Used the internet at the campgrounds.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the Straight Talk Hot spot, it works very good in the lower 48 and uses Verizon Tower, so I hope it will work in AK.

Will see and let you know, works great for right now in North Caroline.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are the coverage can be very spotty. I have Verizon on my iPhone and ATT on my iPad. In most places Verizon was better. Don't know about the other carriers.
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad