cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NW AR to AK

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone planning a trip this year from Northwest Arkansas? I'm looking for someone to tag along with since my wife doesn't want to travel that distance alone. Two friends that planned to dropped out.
6 REPLIES 6

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your replies. Points well taken. Now, the issue is convincing my wife. She's now saying her big concern is me doing all the driving. She can drive but is afraid of our minivan, especially with our A-frame camper (she's short and has only driven small cars). I'm tinkering with the idea to leave the camper home and rig up the minivan as a camper of sorts; I've seen it done many ways and some are outstanding. Then, maybe she will get over her fear of driving the minivan, and the trip can be pushed through.

Ol'coot, thanks for the offer. No firm plans yet, just still dreaming (for 50 years). Time to just do it!

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
Is this your first Alaska adventure? If you are, you are in for and awesome trip. My wife and I decided to take off in 2015 and started off by ourselves. Figured what the heck. Made it halfway through Canada and had met, then re-met and re-met people on their way to Alaska. And everyone of them were enjoyable to meet.
The previous comments/suggestions are all excellent. You will find and meet some really great people and see some amazing sites. And there are some others over on Roll Call 2017 you might want to checkout for info.

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting friends in Hot Springs around 10 May, give or take a day. From there we are headed to Oregon to meet up with couple and travel on up to Alaska. Figuring about 6 to 7 days from Hot Springs to La Pine, Or.
Leaving La pine, Oregon 24 May to be at Copper river (Glennallen, AK) by the 5th of June. Going salmon fishing there until 8 July. Then moving to Soldotna on the Kenai for more fishing until Aug something.
Not sure what your travel plans are, but if you want to join up let me know and we can talk and work out details.

Ol'coot

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I think your wife has some unrealistic fears. There is no reason to worry about traveling to Alaska on your own.

Try getting a Milepost and just have her look through it carefully. She will see there are a plethora of services all along all the routes to Alaska.

And in fact if you break down along a quiet stretch of road you will probably get help sooner than if you breakdown in some Lower 48 major metropolitan area. In fact the next car truck or RV will undoubtedly stop to help.

Don't worry just go. My first trip was in 1972 or 3 (cant remember) the road and trip was much different then. Today it is as easy as driving almost anywhere. Just way more beautiful.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
So what's the difference in traveling 300 miles alone? Yes, the Alaska trip is long but don't think of it as the whole trip in terms of mileage. Break it into 300 mile chunks of travel. There's no difference. You won't be alone. Thousands will be traveling the same route and staying at the same places. You can't get lost as there are few roads. We met the same folks over and over again throughout our summer.

X2 - you won't be alone in Alaska and I am guessing this is your wife's concern. It is fun to keep running into people you have met earlier in your trip and compare notes and recommendations - also happy hours. If you were unfortunate enough to have a mechanical breakdown, people will stop and offer to help - the way of the North.

Relax and enjoy planning your adventure.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what's the difference in traveling 300 miles alone? Yes, the Alaska trip is long but don't think of it as the whole trip in terms of mileage. Break it into 300 mile chunks of travel. There's no difference. You won't be alone. Thousands will be traveling the same route and staying at the same places. You can't get lost as there are few roads. We met the same folks over and over again throughout our summer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel