cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oceanside CA to Borrego Springs

Doin_it
Explorer
Explorer
We will be driving a 35' Class A with toad from Oceanside CA to Borrego Springs this weekend. My question is whether to take the 78 east from Oceanside. The area of concern is between Escondido and Ramona. I utilized the search and know that we should take 79 north at Santa Ysabel, then S2 back south to 78 to avoid Julian. We have been on the S3 before going north into Borrego, and while a bit hairy in places, is doable.

Thanks!
Ann from Kansas
2014 35' Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Jeep Wrangler
5 REPLIES 5

Doin_it
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all!
2014 35' Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Jeep Wrangler

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also don't panic when bikes whizz by on the Montezuma grade - we ride that road between 2.4 and 2.7 times faster on our bikes than descending with the lard a$$ RV. Beautiful ride/drive.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Best route is to take Hwy 76 to Hwy 79 and then left on Montezuma grade through Ranchita. Use low gear, take your time and enjoy the view.

If your worried about grades and curves use the following but dozens of Class A motorhomes use Montezuma grade every day:

1. Take Hwy 76 to Hwy 79 - Head North (Left)
2. Turn right on S2 โ€“ 4.3 mi. - (San Felipe Rd.)
3. Take S2 to Hwy 78 โ€“ 16.8 mi. - (Turn Left)
4. Take Hwy 78 to Borrego Springs Rd. - 15.4 mi. - (Turn Left)
5. Borrego Springs Rd. will take you into Borrego Springs - 11.5 mi.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Scripts Poway Parkway being the easiest.

Now North of Santa Ysabel on 79 you turn R onto S2 (San Felipe Road).

Then a few miles down the road turn L onto S22 to Borrego Springs. Do not miss that turn and continue on down to 78.

That turn onto S22 will take you thru Ranchita down the Montezuma Grade into Borrego Springs.

(On edit) I just noticed that you have previously gone into Borrego across Yaqui Pass on S3. That's a tough way in. On some of the curves you are out into the downhill traffic lane on a very narrow road.

RV parks in Borrego Springs recommend the Montezuma Grade as a preferred way in for those coming from the west. It's hardly more than an interstate highway grade. And with a beautiful view of the valley most of the way down.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

You might want to take I15 south from 78 to Scrips Poway Road. There is a Costco there to, with a gas station, it will offer great low cost fuel if you need it. Then keep going east on this great 4 lane road to highway 67. Take this north to Ramona, and you will avoid a skinny 2 lane road that is highway 78 between San Diego Animal Park and Ramona. It becomes really steep, and skinny. I have taken my RV this way many times, but prefer Scripts Poway Road! I would take that way home if I was working in North San Diego County, and take scripts Poway road to highway 67, then south 5 miles to the ranch that I lived on for 4 years!

There are a couple of other cut-offs that can save a few more miles, but will take you up a 7% grade that is marked "No trucks over 40 feet" on the downhill side. You might not like that . . LOL It is Poway Road. By taking Camino De Norte, this turns into Twin Peaks Road, then turn right at the end of this road (great pizza place on that corner) and take this to the end, you will take that (Poway Road) to the left, up the 2 mile long 7% grade to highway 67, and then turn left to get to Ramona. This will save about 8 miles from taking interstate 15 south to Scripts Poway Road. (Scripts Poway road starts out at 6 lanes near the freeway, but goes to 4 lanes most of the drive, and is not all that steep, except one part just before reaching highway 67)

I would recommend either of these routes over taking highway 78 from Escondido to Ramona. AS you cross over I15, you leave the freeway, then drive on 4 lane and 2 lane city residential streets until you reach the old highway 78. It is the type of old highway that follows the creeks, and twists around trees, between property lines, and such. There is one steep section, with no turnouts.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com