cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OnStar in Mexico

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use OnStar in Mexico? They told me they don't extend into Mexico, yet I see they have a website (onstar.com.mx)

Thanks
Rob
19 REPLIES 19

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....I think what MEX is inferring is: don't count too much on the Mexican OnStar service, because the cell coverage is not nearly as stated in the GIS map mash-up screen-shot (taken by Gtla). Additionally, how reliable would a Mexico-based OnStar "towing service" call actually be at any randomly-driven stretch of road in Mexico (ie. when a foreign RV visitor is driving off the toll roads), will his/her OnStar MX link (and the service call reception to destination time frame) be reliable and apropos for the emergency situation ?

BTW: there are large parts of South America covered by OnStar currently.

IF OnStar becomes available to US and Canadian GM owners for real in Mexico, perhaps planning for the worst and hoping for the best would be prudent...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Okay, I posted the website, the coverage map, tell OnStar it doesn't work. That's the best I can do.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Tow services for large vehicles are just as sophisticated as those in the USA. They have big KW's with wheel lifts, air bags for lifting trailers and all kinds of retrieval equipment to get you out of a ditch. The drivers are true professionals. I have found cell service on the quotas to be as good as say Verizon on US freeways. Good Sam offers emergency service in Mexico and they dispatch from some central office.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I also think it might be a good service. But here is an example of how things can go wrong. The City of Hermosillo instituted a 911 service for foreigners. It was advertised in Tucson. Seemed like a great idea. NOT!! It only works when dialing from a Mexican cell! I tried it one day just to see if it was operating. An operator answered in less than 10 seconds. She spoke zero English. When I asked in Spanish if there was an English speaking operator she replied: " NO HAY", Posible mas tarde.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This ain't New Joisey...

Things like On Star, and Lo Jack DO NOT WORK in most of the country. Some of the DO NOT WORK is due to incomplete infrastructure, other part of the DO NOT WORK is due to personnel.

EXAMPLE: Twenty seven tow companies in a 75 mile radius. Eighteen may not wish to write up a FACTURA which is a registered sales document with Hacienda, Mexico's tax department. Four companies may have broken trucks, like the tow service across the street here. The remainder may not have a good connection or relationship with the Green Angels.

Outside of this town 3KM there are ZERO BARS on all phone services. It stays that way for 68 miles. Then phone service for 5KM then zero for 73 KM, then 4 more KM with phone then Three HUNDRED KILOMETERS with no service.

Just like AIR EVAC service. SEVENTEEN HOURS after a phone call the patient is wheeled into a USA emergency room.

Just realize what it is you are and are not getting with these gizmos. I live down here 24/7 365 and outside of cities it is a whole different world.

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't understand either. OnStar offers a variety of services, some of which would be very handy in Mexico.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"ยฟQuien Habla? Lo siento seรฑor, whon meenite pleece. JUANITA? Donde esta Juanita? Sory sir, Juanita is to lonche now. You call back later, OK?"

Just realize reality from pipe dreams when you opt for seeming too-good-to-be-true deals. Sometimes I cannot believe how naive some folks are. You think crooks are not going to choose to operate in a cellular phone blank area?

TelCel has coverage maps. I laugh when my phone shows no bars but the TelCel coverage map hows "coverage" over a wide area. Get the picture?

Nope, didn't understand any of this. Are you saying that OnStar is not going to work or will be intercepted by criminals?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"ยฟQuien Habla? Lo siento seรฑor, whon meenite pleece. JUANITA? Donde esta Juanita? Sory sir, Juanita is to lonche now. You call back later, OK?"

Just realize reality from pipe dreams when you opt for seeming too-good-to-be-true deals. Sometimes I cannot believe how naive some folks are. You think crooks are not going to choose to operate in a cellular phone blank area?

TelCel has coverage maps. I laugh when my phone shows no bars but the TelCel coverage map hows "coverage" over a wide area. Get the picture?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
OnStar Mexico Sorry, not a complete picture of the coverage, but you get the idea.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems to me if you take everyone's advice and don't travel at night NO PROBLEMA.
Use it during day light hours. I was told by a Mexican friend that there is a Mexican Onstar service. Let us know what you find out if one can subscribe to it?
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ringringringringringringringringrongringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringring.......

Green Angels after sundown on anything but a major travel route (cuota).

The -only- thing that works is to let a helpful passer-by call for a grua "tow truck" when they get back into cell phone coverage. Before the ejercito o marinas de armada go home for the evening, they frequently drop off a few soldados to guard you and your rig. They expect the tow truck driver to drop the guards back at their base.

Conversation with a PFP a few years ago...

"Do you patrol at night?"

He looked at me as if I was asking the color of his wife's underwear.

OnStar is nothing more or less than a call forwarding answering service. They need someone to call before the service becomes useful.

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if you can sign up for it separately? Did anyone try?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried it in Sonora and all over other parts of Mexico. Does not work. I was told it has something to do with the cell service that OnStar uses. Not compatible with Telcel.

Moisheh

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
I tried it about 100 miles south of the border and it did not work. No coverage. Chino