Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight recommendation in Kamloops

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

We've got a fabulous two week trip planned and reserved this summer from Seattle to Banff and Jasper. The last remaining detail to get ironed out is where to stay on the way home. Currently, because of time constraints, I think we're going to be making a beeline back home from Jasper via Hwy 5. It looks like Kamloops is about exactly half way for us, so I thought a quick overnight there would be a good idea.

Any recommendations for a reasonable overnight stop with electric? With the likely summer heat we're going to want to run the AC, so I think a Costco/Walmart camp is probably out for us. Not looking for anything other than a quick stop and crash really. We're probably going to be sightsee'd out by then, so scenery isn't a priority, so long as the place is clean and safe and reasonably presentable.

I did a search and came up with Knutsford Campground and Kamloops RV Park as possibles.

Any thoughts about these, or other suggestions?

Thanks!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch
20 REPLIES 20

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
"The Merritt WM is more suitable for overnight camping"

Walmart IS NOT FOR CAMPING.
When are you people going to get it????????

It is no wonder that more and more Walmarts are
refusing overnight "PARKING"

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
On Google Maps Streetview, the main entrance sign form WM also lists Michaels, Payless Shoes, Pier one, etc. And from sat view, there's no out-of-the-way corner of the parking lot where RVs could cluster and be away from the other stores.

The Merritt WM is more suitable for overnight camping. It's just off the freeway, out of town, the only neighbors is the airport and a Husky station with a large empty parking area.

I have seen a lot of RV's at the Merritt WM any time I have passed through. Surprised they have not clamped down on the abusers who have their whole campsite setup in the parking lot.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Google Maps Streetview, the main entrance sign form WM also lists Michaels, Payless Shoes, Pier one, etc. And from sat view, there's no out-of-the-way corner of the parking lot where RVs could cluster and be away from the other stores.

The Merritt WM is more suitable for overnight camping. It's just off the freeway, out of town, the only neighbors is the airport and a Husky station with a large empty parking area.

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
Two problems with W/M in Kamloops.
There was a group of RV's that came in, put their slides out, jacks down
on new pavement, set up barbecues, etc. They were asked to pack it all up as they were only allowed "parking", not camping. They refused and the police
had to intervene.

W/M does not own the land and that is why the signs went up.
Has not been overnight parking for several years....as stated.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Tothill wrote:
luckyd wrote:
Two CG's in Kamloops. One is Kamloops RV park. Noisy and high price.
The other is at Knutsford RV Park. Quiet, off the highway, lots of shade,
BUT, most sites are 30 amp.
Coming from Jasper on Hwy 5. there is a CG about 15 miles north of
Kamloops.

For a major center, we really are lacking in CG's.

You are not allowed overnight at Walmart.
Costco lot is very small now with the gas pumps and cement islands.

When did they stop over nighting at Walmart in Kamloops? We spent the night there(with store permission and about 15 other rigs about 6 years ago).
About 3 yrs ago, signs everywhere, maximum 3 hrs parking with an RV.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
Chinook cove golf and Rv Park is just 3 miles north of Barriere, B.C. right off highway . They have 18 sites with full hookups. Nice and quiet and around $30.00 a night. We stay there numerous times during the summer because it has a great 9 hole golf course.
Barriere is only 40 minutes north of Kamloops.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
luckyd wrote:
Kamloops.

When did they stop over nighting at Walmart in Kamloops? We spent the night there(with store permission and about 15 other rigs about 6 years ago).

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
Kamloops.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
We have dual pane windows in our RV and didn't think the noise was particularly noticeable with them closed.

The OP's truck-trailer combination is much closer to ours than to a 40-ft. coach. We might have had a 60-ft. pull-thru if we had been in a Class A MH. But we weren't, so ended up with a 20-ft. back-in space for a 21-ft. trailer with no place to put our truck. I would stay away from Kamloops RV Park.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

docj
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
We stayed only one night at the overpriced Kamloops RV Park last summer. We were given a space that only had room for our trailer, but not our truck (and our trailer is only 21' long). The Trans-Canada truck and CP train noise was so loud during the night that we had trouble sleeping even with our normal ear plugs in.

I personally wouldn't stay there again. Instead, I would suggest someplace outside town and away from the highway and railroad track if at all possible.

We have dual pane windows in our RV and didn't think the noise was particularly noticeable with them closed. The staff are very nice and the park is next to the BC Wildlife Park which, although it is just a zoo, was an enjoyable place for the kids to see some grizzly's up close. IMHO the short backtrack back to the highway to Jasper was not a big deal; I've drive a lot farther off course to get to a CG.

Kamloops is a good place to stop either coming or going from or to Jasper. The shopping is good so it's a great place to stock up or re-stock, as the case may be.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Baxtersparents
Explorer
Explorer
See if this place fits your needs :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/British_Columbia/Barriere.html

http://www.chinookcovegolf.com/

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
KOA in Clearwater 75 miles north of Kamloops and other camgrounds here also. Quite reasonable.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
Savona is not too far West of Kamloops (on the Trans Canada Highway)

Steelhead Provincial Park is one of the few BC Provincial Parks with electric (15 amp). We spent the night there mid July and did not need the AC as there was a lovely Breeze off the lake.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/steelhead/

I would stay there again.