cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pacific Coast HWY from Morro Bay to Monterey

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
Have 35' and 38 rigs. How is the drive from Morro Bay to Monterey on the PCH with the rigs or is it better to use toads??
2002 Monaco Beaver
2015 Ford Edge toad w/ Brake Buddy
Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
7 REPLIES 7

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your comfort level and experience with your RV. If you do decide to do the trip with either the RV and towed or just the towed check CalTrans (California Department of Transportation) for road conditions. This year there is a fair amount of construction/rebuilding/maintance of roads between Cambria and Monterey. Some traffic delays for one way traffic around the construction zones.

Also check weather. June-August can be pea soup fog from Point Conception north.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Motorcycle yes. Class A 38', You wont be able to enjoy the view from the stress you'll be feeling navigating HWY1. Nope, I wouldn't go that way. Stay on the Monterey Bay somewhere and do day trips on that route and area in your toad. You'll really enjoy it much more.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much!!! I did not think it could be done, now I know for sure.
2002 Monaco Beaver
2015 Ford Edge toad w/ Brake Buddy
Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
DON'T DO IT! I can't get much clearer than that based on my personal experience. There have been many posts on the subject. It is a beautiful drive IN THE CAR.
Happy Trails.

This about sums it up.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, it can be done, but that doesn't mean you should do it. It is a beautiful ride for a passenger vehicle or motorcycle, not a big coach towing.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
DON'T DO IT! I can't get much clearer than that based on my personal experience. There have been many posts on the subject. It is a beautiful drive IN THE CAR.
Happy Trails.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible but stressful for driver and passengers. Curvy, narrow, hidden driveways, possible traffic and land slides. It can be done but you need to take it slow and be alert.

It's about 120 miles so it is possible to do the drive in a day using a toad. But that limits the time you can spend sight seeing unless you spend the night in a hotel.